What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WSJ: Apple is testing a 12.9 inch iPad prototype, larger screen iPhone

RaduTyrsina

News Team
Reaction score
Maxi-iPad.jpg

Rumors relating to the fact that Apple is looking to increase its devices’ screen size have been given weight by a new report. The Wall Street Journal, via Taiwanese supply chain sources familiar with the matter, claims Apple is testing a 12.9-inch iPad prototype.

Before getting too excited, it’s important to know that Apple tests all kinds of products featuring different sizes all the time for the sake of experimentation. But, just to make it clear, the current model of the i​​Phone features a 4-inch screen, while the fully fledged iPad comes with a 9.7-inch screen and the iPad Mini with a 7.9-inch screen.

The important question here remains - why would Apple want to move into a market that has already been seized by the so called phablet? Companies like Samsung and Sony have already launched upon the market devices that blend tablets and smartphones. Is there room for Apple in this picture?

Rumors of Apple releasing an iPhone with a larger screen aren’t new. So far, we have seen reports suggesting that the company was thinking of increasing the size of the iPhone screen up to 5.7-inch. On the other side, information about a wider iPad has been quite scarce up until now. Back in May, ETNews reported that the tech giant was thinking of adding a so called “iPad Maxi†to its portfolio.

Source: WSJ

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
That's cool. I will never buy it, but I think there are many who will enjoy a larger screen iPad. I would not mind having a phone with a larger screen.

Zergslayer69

iPF Noob
Reaction score
if the 5.7" iphone is true, I may go back to owning an iphone again. But for now, looking forward to the Note 3. Come on apple, show me what you got!

fb si

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is great news, if true. I could use an iPad with a larger screen. Apple will also gain more sales with more choices.

mannyberrios

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That is great news! Would love the iPhone with a larger screen , and I would buy a large screen iPad

jersep

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is excelent! an iPad with a larger screen means more space in the device to add more memory, RAM, resources, hardware, better display which is beneficial for my eyes. For sure I will be one of the first to buy one. With a bigger iPad screen I will not need a laptop.

Brontesmith

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Let's see how that device turns out to be..i am pretty sure that Apple is soon going to launch another marvel.

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
when it is being launch..??????... cant wait.

We must remember that "testing" does not equal "will be released". Companies test things all the time that never see the light of day. Consider the news a rumor and take with a grain of salt.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This is excelent! an iPad with a larger screen means more space in the device to add more memory, RAM, resources, hardware, better display which is beneficial for my eyes. For sure I will be one of the first to buy one. With a bigger iPad screen I will not need a laptop.

Yeah, that's true. I still think the current iPad is the perfect blend of screen size, portability, and ease of handling but a larger unit could be useful. Honestly though, at almost thirteen inches, it'd be a pretty non portable unit. I agree too that something that size could be a laptop replacement. Heck, apple might even cut into sales of the MacBook Air with a larger iPad!

Most reactions

Latest posts