Would you buy an IPAD 1 now?

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by dkyser, Mar 3, 2011.

1. Djdan

Djdan
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I have IPad 1 and when I saw that 16gb refurb price point I couldn't resist and picked up a 2nd one for my wife. Totally agree with the comments here about the warranty and can personally vouch for the refurb quality. It's a no brainer if cameras on 2 do nothing for you. Save the $ , pick up the first gen and roll those savings into 3rd gen.

2. Davebarrie

Davebarrie
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    +1 to that, after ignoring those 10$ webcams, how much is that processor upgrade worth to you? 150$??? Thats practically half an iPad! Maybe Stephen Colbert was onto something

3. zorah

zorah
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    I still say what the heck- if someone wants the camera and the faster processor for graphics, great, the 2 is for them. I'm all for Apple staying current with the competition. But I more than agree that a refurb brand new gen 1 is great for people, and it's cool to see people going for it. I sure am staying with my gen 1 ( not a refurb, but you all get the point) I just updated to 4.3 about 2 or so hours ago. I did notice it is rendering web pages faster. I thought it was more than fast before, but it's really snappy now. This is what I use my iPad for-surfing, ebooks, and productivity apps mostly, so the first generation remains a gem for me.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

4. Davebarrie

Davebarrie
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Thats a great point. Apple domination is good for all iPad owners, and that means occasionally responding to the mainstream hardware benchmarks. As it stands apple is able to offer a second generation tablet to spank anything android on the cheap, and a fantastic first gen tablet at an unprecedented entry price. Apple is winning, we are winning, Charlie is winning it's a win win win

5. zorah

zorah
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Exactly. All win-win!
    And actually, a refurb generation 1, considering it is restored to brand new condition, is still to me a better way to go for longer battery life than a used one which is minus whatever battery life the previous owner used it for. I wonder what sellers of their used ones are getting versus the refurbs at $349? I wonder if it is that much of a difference. I could wager a guess of $300 used for example, and I would rather have a same as new refurb unit for $49 more.

6. DontUnderstandMyIpad

DontUnderstandMyIpad
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ipad 3g 32gb including case sell for 340-380£ on ebay, whereas Apple's new price is 499£, minus 7-8% for a refurbished unit.

7. thekarens

thekarens
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Someone tried to buy my 32gb wifi for $350. I told him no thank you. I'm holding out for iPad 3 at the very least.