What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Would you buy an IPAD 1 now?

Reaction score
Davebarrie said:
I have never heard that these warrentys are transferable, maybe u know something I don't

I would go with what the Apple FAQ says, and it clearly state that the Apple Care can be transferred.

'Is the AppleCare Protection Plan transferable?
Yes. If you choose to sell or give away your Apple product, you can also transfer the ownership of the AppleCare Protection Plan. Please see the AppleCare Protection Plan Terms and Conditions for complete details.'
http://www.apple.com/support/products/faqs.html

If you read the details (Point 6 in the PDF) it further states, that ownership can only be transferred once and you or the new owner have to inform Apple, which can be done online or via phone.

So reiterating the previous point, when buying used iPads, they do come with AppleCare Protection, just not 12 month, but depending on how much money it costs less then the official price, it may be worth it.

Last edited:

Davebarrie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Its worth noting that the refurbs are more new than used, things like the casing and the battery are completely replaced. Bottom line I couldt sleep at night with a used pad, but when its a refurb it's apple approved

thekarens

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DontUnderstandMyIpad said:
How am I missing the point?

If you have the option of buying from Apple with sales tax and 1 year warranty, or buying a used 2 month old without tax, then for the latter, you would still have 10 month Apple Warranty, but save ~$60 in tax.

The main question would be, whether these extra 2 month for Apple Care are worth paying the tax. It doesn't have go be 2 month less, but depending on how old, or rather new the iPad is, it may be worthwhile to get a used one instead.

Where do you live that your tax is $60? That's more than 10% sales tax. Of course you're assuming the warranty is transferrable and I don't know that it is and you're also assuming you could find one that was only 2 months old for a better price.

Djdan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have IPad 1 and when I saw that 16gb refurb price point I couldn't resist and picked up a 2nd one for my wife. Totally agree with the comments here about the warranty and can personally vouch for the refurb quality. It's a no brainer if cameras on 2 do nothing for you. Save the $ , pick up the first gen and roll those savings into 3rd gen.

Davebarrie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Djdan said:
I have IPad 1 and when I saw that 16gb refurb price point I couldn't resist and picked up a 2nd one for my wife. Totally agree with the comments here about the warranty and can personally vouch for the refurb quality. It's a no brainer if cameras on 2 do nothing for you. Save the $ , pick up the first gen and roll those savings into 3rd gen.

+1 to that, after ignoring those 10$ webcams, how much is that processor upgrade worth to you? 150$??? Thats practically half an iPad! Maybe Stephen Colbert was onto something

zorah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I still say what the heck- if someone wants the camera and the faster processor for graphics, great, the 2 is for them. I'm all for Apple staying current with the competition. But I more than agree that a refurb brand new gen 1 is great for people, and it's cool to see people going for it. I sure am staying with my gen 1 ( not a refurb, but you all get the point) I just updated to 4.3 about 2 or so hours ago. I did notice it is rendering web pages faster. I thought it was more than fast before, but it's really snappy now. This is what I use my iPad for-surfing, ebooks, and productivity apps mostly, so the first generation remains a gem for me.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Davebarrie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thats a great point. Apple domination is good for all iPad owners, and that means occasionally responding to the mainstream hardware benchmarks. As it stands apple is able to offer a second generation tablet to spank anything android on the cheap, and a fantastic first gen tablet at an unprecedented entry price. Apple is winning, we are winning, Charlie is winning it's a win win win

zorah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Exactly. All win-win!
And actually, a refurb generation 1, considering it is restored to brand new condition, is still to me a better way to go for longer battery life than a used one which is minus whatever battery life the previous owner used it for. I wonder what sellers of their used ones are getting versus the refurbs at $349? I wonder if it is that much of a difference. I could wager a guess of $300 used for example, and I would rather have a same as new refurb unit for $49 more.

thekarens

iPF Noob
Reaction score
zorah said:
Exactly. All win-win!
And actually, a refurb generation 1, considering it is restored to brand new condition, is still to me a better way to go for longer battery life than a used one which is minus whatever battery life the previous owner used it for. I wonder what sellers of their used ones are getting versus the refurbs at $349? I wonder if it is that much of a difference. I could wager a guess of $300 used for example, and I would rather have a same as new refurb unit for $49 more.

Someone tried to buy my 32gb wifi for $350. I told him no thank you. I'm holding out for iPad 3 at the very least.

Most reactions

Latest posts