Would you buy an IPAD 1 now?

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by dkyser, Mar 3, 2011.

1. DontUnderstandMyIpad

DontUnderstandMyIpad
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    In my opinion the iPad1 has the better value. Mostly because apart from the camera it can do all the things an iPad 2 can do and costs much less.

And if one only had a laptop/pc before, both iPad 1 and 2 offer a huge comfortability bonus. Sure the iPad 2 is faster, but at least for me the jump from laptop to iPad has a much higher value then from iPad 1 to 2.

And lastly, taking Photobooth, Facetime and iMovie recording aside, how long will it take for iPad 2 only apps to appear? Considering that iPad 3 is only a year or less away, I find it foolish to upgrade to a faster device now, when I still have to wait month for apps to come out to use this better hardware.

2. jhood2323

jhood2323
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I was on the ropes like you too, but I decided I minds wells spent the extra $150. Two months from now when you see all the ipad 2 only titles .You'll be kicking yourself.

3. SheerLuckHolmes

SheerLuckHolmes
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    2 months from now when you get all excited about the new iPad 2 apps, iPad2 refurbished will be available. Stop kicking yourself and congratulate yourself on the savings.

4. nickora

nickora
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    ipad1 is hardly a bad option still, they were hardly thick to begin with and have the same size screen so all the extra bits on ipad 2 really will come down to how you use it.
    basically I think that the hardware side of the ipad has developed further than the software side, there are thousands upon thousands of apps available for ipad, but developers try to make them available for iphones too (many are cross compatible) which means that the true limitations of the ipad app are actually the iphones capabilities.
    i think its up to you if your buying your first ipad to go for either 1 or 2 but if you already have one I dont think its time yet to fork out for the upgrade unless you really want a camera.

5. dogenia

dogenia
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    If I needed another Ipad then probably I'd be buying an Ipad 1 at this time primarily because of the price difference.

Lets look at V3.

6. mac

mac
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Here's an idea for anyone thinking about upgrading from 1 to 2. Buy an Android pad instead now and then upgrade to 3 whenever that appears. That way you have every base covered.

7. Premium1337

Premium1337
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    iPad 1... the new options of the iPad 2 I don't think I'll be able to utilize them that much to make it worth while.

If you plan on playing around with the games a lot and putting the camera to use, then I would most definitely recommend it.

Simple users that just sit and read a book or take notes from the iPad and surf Safari won't notice much of a difference; except for loading large documents and what not.

I'm going to buy the iPad 1 within the next couple of days...and I feel the longer I wait, the more iPad 1st generations will flood sites like eBay and Amazon, making the price around $400 for a barely used iPad 64GB (Wi-Fi Only)...but that's only a prediction.

-Premium1337

8. normanj

normanj
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ditto!

9. carlnj

carlnj
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I pick up my ipad1 late jan 2011, returned yesterday and waiting to get ipad2 Fri. I think anyone bought IPAD1 in 2011 should get full refund or replacement for the new ipad2. I got mine refund after complaining to the store manager.

10. Frank2k

Frank2k
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I deliberately bought a brand spanking new 16gb wifi only because of the excellent price Apple are shifting these for at the moment. I don't need the faster A5 processor found in the iPad2 and the camera is a waste for me. Why, because I have an iPhone 4 and I never use the camera on the phone as it is and I have a proper DSLR for my picture taking.

What I'm trying to say is that I view the iPad purely as a portable Internet and email device. I have an iPod for music, I have an iPhone for telephony and a Mac for work, so for me the iPad (Classic) fills the gap perfectly and integrates without problems with the rest of my Apple stuff :)

Basically it all comes down to what you are willing to spend on a device to fil you wants and most importantly your needs...