worth upgradeing?

Discussion in 'iPad 3 Forum' started by Gunneruseipad2, Mar 8, 2012.

1. AdmiralAdama

AdmiralAdama
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Sticking with my iPad 2. I'm a recreational user and it suits me fine.
    AA

2. sunking

sunking
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I have an iPad1, 32GB wifi/3G. I pre-ordered an iPad3, 32GB wifi/4G to replace it. I have to say that the iPad1 has really not felt as "snappy" as it did when I first received it. Maybe it is just me...

I think that the iPad3 will be quite an upgrade to the iPad1 that I currently have. Display, graphics and processor...all much faster. All of that made it much easier for me to bite the bullet and absorb the cost.

I was talking in the office yesterday about pre-ordering the iPad3 and one of my co-workers offered to buy my iPad1. We agreed to a purchase price of $150. This also helps offset the overall cost.

Now...just need to find a way to wait for March 16th to get here!

3. AQ_OC

AQ_OC
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    IMO, ole rule of thumbs don't apply in the case of the new iPad. Apple doubled the screen solution to the point where full page PDFs and magazines that are designed to use that screen will be wonderful to view. For me, that is a killer feature and was a clear weak point of the iPad 2 (I actually use an iPad in my work). IMO, I'll wait two years for the next upgrade, but not this one. I ordered my new iPad today and then shipped off my iPad 2 to Amazon.com.

I can understand how others may view this differently, however. It really depends on what you need from the tablet.

4. timtruro

timtruro
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I read the WSJ many days on my 2 and the print graphics and pics are great. Maybe if you use it for work the increased resolution will make a difference, but for me, I am a happy camper with the 2.

5. Jrs22

Jrs22
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ordinarily I would wait at least 2 years to upgrade, but when I bought my Ipad 2 last June I just didn't realize how many uses I would find for it so I went with 16 gigs. I just pre-ordered a 64 gig model, and I'll give my son my Ipad 2. Two happy people - and now I can do video chats with him.

6. applechick

applechick
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I personally am going to wait for the next iPad. Our household has one iPad 1 and two iPad 2 and I don't see big enough changes to spend money to upgrade. I am also really into my accessories and I have invested a lot and don't want to take the chance some may not fit.

7. Husq250

Husq250
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    My iPad 1 was feeling a bit "sticky" too. I did both a restore (home button and sleep button at the same time) and reset my network settings. After that it's quite a bit better. Not as good as the new iPad 2 but better.

8. jessbarney777

jessbarney777
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    If you're worried about cases fitting or not fitting the new model, I don't think you need to worry on that point. Some companies are marketing their iPad 2 cases as simply being compatible with both the new model and the iPad 2, despite the fact that the new model is slightly heavier and thicker. I don't know about other the compatibility of other accessories, and I'm still on the fence about upgrading my own iPad 2, but at least I know that my zoogue case would fit the iPad 3, if I decide to upgrade. :)

9. jmbarker

jmbarker
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Amazon buys iPads? How do I go about selling mine to them?

10. ipad987

ipad987
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I am in exactly the same boat. I figure upgrading now will cost me around £100 because I can sell my 32gb iPad 2 for close to £300 and then buy 16gb iPad 3 for £400, however, I seriously do not need the better resolution (I have a brand new HD/3D TV and HD/3D capable DVD player which I can use to watch HD content) and nor the faster processor as this iPad is more than fast enough for me because, like you, I surf, play very simple games, and some productivity apps that I do not need a faster processor for.

What's more, I really do to like the idea of extra weight and slightly extra thickness. It's all about upgrading now at a low cost, or paying much more in a year's time.

#20 ipad987, Mar 8, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2012