What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

worrying ipad2 gripes

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
Hi guys

Since you all started getting your hands on the new ipad 2, i'm reading more and more about gripes and problems that are striking home. ie.....

* wi-fi reception being weaker than ipad1
* microphone being more baffled and less quality than ipad1
* back-light leaking
* battery drainage

etc etc etc

i know hardware isn't bulletproof, but surely it shouldn't be this worrying?
or am i worry about nothing, or too much hype? i cant remember the ipad 1 having this much woe over it.

Somerled

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.deckyon.com
Squeakiest wheels get the most grease. On forums like these, you look at about 1% of the total market share using the iPad2. Even is most of those have a problem, that is still more than 99% that are not being vocal or have no issues.

Take complaints on forums about hardware issues with a grain of salt.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Squeakiest wheels get the most grease. On forums like these, you look at about 1% of the total market share using the iPad2. Even is most of those have a problem, that is still more than 99% that are not being vocal or have no issues.

Take complaints on forums about hardware issues with a grain of salt.

I would totally agree - at the iPad Forum you have a 'tech savvy' audience, who really know their stuff (OK - me excepted!), so we tend to disect every technical report, blog, forum (except this one, of course, which is totally reliable) with exquisite detail - so we 'pounce' on the slightest detail. As the previous poster said, you have here a 1% tech savvy audience who are 'ultra-critical' and - 'out there' - regular guys who are not as besotted as I am with the iPad.....

The 'market' rules - why is the iPad so successful? - because it's a great product and consumers know it's so much better than the competition - and, no, I'm not related to Steve Jobs - wish I was!

Tim

Scotland

volcanopele

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had the "battery drainage" and light leakage issue early on but these have resolved themselves. It seemed early on that the battery was draining faster than it did with my iPad1, but in the last couple of days, this seems to have fixed itself, with the battery draining at an expected 10% per hour. Probably just an issue with the way that the battery percentage was reported. IIRC, Apple products require a few days of "calibration" before accurate percentages are given.

I have also noted less light leakage.

Last edited:

Tarkio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I guess I have the only good one. I certainly have none of those issues.

I remember reading that the original iPad screen would become hopelessly scratched after just a couple of days of normal use. One website said their iPad screen was ruined after a day of just using light finger pressure. Snore.

At least get the claims right. The microphone muffled sound was only supposed to be on 3G iPads, not wifi. Turns out that people were speaking into the earphone jack where the mic was on the original version. They were speaking into the wrong place on the new one LOL.

kctay

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Don't worry.....be happy :)

Take the blue pill ;)

What they said above. People that are happy don't report nearly as much as those with some imagined, or perceived problem.... Hence it appears these problems are mounting.....

SporkLover

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have not had WiFi issues whatsoever.

I have a WiFi only model and the sounds from the mic is very clear and crisp.

I do have light leakage, but it's only truly noticeable when the screen is dark and the brightness is cranked up. I will be getting it replaced because I got the iPad as a portable media player, when I am watching movies on da plane, it is painfully obvious.

I've actually found battery life to be better than my original iPad. I still have both and have done side by side comparisons.

Most reactions

Latest posts