What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wired Lexus ad is terrible

GlenL

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just tried the free download of the May Wired iPad issue, and I found some of the new interactive ads terribly annoying. For example, the Lexus ad isn't even as good as a children's Where's Waldo book. There isn't any actual Lexus vehicles in the photo. You basically just drag the magnifying glass randomly around the screen until you hit a programmed hotspot. Idiotic. And to make matters worse, the ad turns off the swipe page turning ability. You have to tap the page and use the next page arrow button. So to summarize, it's an ad that tricks readers into thinking they are actually playing a game and turning off the normal ability to turn the page. If their cars are anything like their ads, I would stay far far away.

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
GlenL said:
I just tried the free download of the May Wired iPad issue, and I found some of the new interactive ads terribly annoying. For example, the Lexus ad isn't even as good as a children's Where's Waldo book. There isn't any actual Lexus vehicles in the photo. You basically just drag the magnifying glass randomly around the screen until you hit a programmed hotspot. Idiotic. And to make matters worse, the ad turns off the swipe page turning ability. You have to tap the page and use the next page arrow button. So to summarize, it's an ad that tricks readers into thinking they are actually playing a game and turning off the normal ability to turn the page. If their cars are anything like their ads, I would stay far far away.

Yes, that's probably why I haven't been back to that stupid app. That annoyed me as well.

from Somerset UK on my iPad using IPF app

wytey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
giffgaff.com
I can navigate the pages fine by both the left and right arrows as well as dragging the bar at the bottom, when in an ad, only the bottom part works for swiping etc, or click the screen to pull up the arrows and bar

in the lexus ad, click the bottom left, explore bit, then it pulls up another page where you select a model of car for more info, however, you have to click all vehicles first, as the other tabs don't work ...

I work for an insurance company dealing with Toyota and lexus claims, but I'll feed the above back to toyota/lexus as it really is a poor effort

as for the first screen where you drag the magnifying glass, it is just a mini game

Last edited:
OP
GlenL

GlenL

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wytey said:
I can navigate the pages fine by both the left and right arrows as well as dragging the bar at the bottom, when in an ad, only the bottom part works for swiping etc, or click the screen to pull up the arrows and bar

in the lexus ad, click the bottom left, explore bit, then it pulls up another page where you select a model of car for more info, however, you have to click all vehicles first, as the other tabs don't work ...

I work for an insurance company dealing with Toyota and lexus claims, but I'll feed the above back to toyota/lexus as it really is a poor effort

as for the first screen where you drag the magnifying glass, it is just a mini game

I know that the arrow buttons work, but it's annoying that swiping was disabled because of the magnifying glass feature, except for a small strip of screen at the bottom. And even then it's not easy to know/find.

Also, the mini game is terrible because there's no actual car that you can see through the magnifying glass. You just randomly move it around and then a red dot shows up, but even then there's no car there. Just a red dot with Lexus info.

wytey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
giffgaff.com
well, fed back, whether they do anything from what a lowly employee said is another thing...

Most reactions

Latest posts