will they exchange even for mild backlight bleeding issue?

Discussion in 'iPad 2 Forum' started by julietz, May 30, 2011.

1. julietz

julietz
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I have a dent at the charging port of my ipad2 and now I am unable to insert the charging cable into my ipad2.

I brought it back to apple service center today and they told me that they can't fix this and it is not covered under warranty due to cosmetic fault. I have to pay US$350+ to get an exchange for a new set. This is ridiculous since my ipad 2 is only 2 weeks old! Furthermore I didn't even drop my ipad2 so I don't know why there is a dent there.

After researching online, I came to know about the backlight bleeding issue. I test on my set and noticed that there are some mild bleeding only if I turned up the brightness and put it in the darkroom. So I called up apple store and they told me that I can bring it down for exchange.

However, I'm worried if they would actually reject my exchange since the bleeding isn't major and that there is a dent at the port.

Anyone can advise me?

2. Tim SPRACKLEN

Tim SPRACKLEN
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    I am surprised they wouldn't change it for you. You'll see in this Forum that Members have reported that Apple are operating an unofficial, once-only, exchange on damaged iPads as a goodwill gesture. We have had no reports so far of exchanges being refused. It may be that the individual employee was unaware of this policy, so I would definitely return to the Store and try again. If the employee refuses to exchange it, then ask to speak to a Manager. Don't be afraid to say that you're posting your experiences on iPad Forum - the thought of the negative publicity might make them think a little harder about their decision.

Let us know how you get on.

Tim

3. ipfuser55

ipfuser55
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Tim is spot on, I have yet to hear of anyone being refused. Perhaps the employee was having a bad day! Quoting IPF to the manager should help too!

4. julietz

julietz
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the advice. I'm heading back to the store after work to get them to do an exchange for me for backlight bleeding issue and see if they will. However I'm located in Singapore so I'm not sure if the unofficial once-only, exchange on damaged iPads applies in my country too.

5. julietz

julietz
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    What does IPF stands for?

6. ipfuser55

ipfuser55
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ipf

Sorry, IPF= I Pad Forum (us here :D)

7. julietz

julietz
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Oh! haha Thanks for the explanation!

8. julietz

julietz
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    just got a rude reply from the service staff when i called up to check if they know about the unofficial exchange...

the staff told me over the phone "we don't do anything unofficial. you've got to pay."

9. Tim SPRACKLEN

Tim SPRACKLEN
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    OK - that probably wasn't a good idea. Members simply turn up at the store and then the iPads are exchanged. By 'unofficial' we meant exactly that, Apple won't acknowledge it, it's not common knowledge, they don't publish it, they won't 'admit' it. By confronting the store employees they would have had to acknowledge that the policy exists - in which case it would no longer be 'unofficial'......

So you might want to make sure that you turn up at the store when that particular employee is not present. Remember, it's unofficial, you have no 'right' to expect them to do this, but they always have in the past.

Be careful, be polite, be courteous to them and it might work.

Is there more than one Apple Store near you? If so, I'd try a different store.

Good Luck

Tim

10. ipfuser55

ipfuser55
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Yes, " Unofficial" means just that. Politeness and courtesy work they really do :)

Sent from my iPad using iPF