What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Backlight bleed

Mungo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all
Ive recently become the proud owner of a 64gb 3g ipad 2. Ive done some checks and it has the backlight bleed issue, a small amount around the home button.
I went into my local Apple store and spoke to a guy on the genius bar. He said that this problem is caused by the adhesive they used under the screen and that in time the problem would dissapear, has anyone else heard this ? The guy offered to swap the ipad for a replacement, but i thought it best to wait as ive read that even the replacement pads are still sufferring from this problem.
Also where do i stand on demanding some compo for the £35 screen protector ive put on it .

Appreciate any feedback

iRuthlessPad

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There is screen bleeding on every set sold i guess..even here in india..so i guess its better u wait for the problem to be rectified and then go for replacement..but i guess they give u a refurbished set instead of a NEW one...so its a difficult choice both ways!

jmorton10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are definitely iPads out there that do not have screen bleeding.

Mine does not have that problem and I'm pretty picky, if it did I would have already returned it.

Videographer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I noticed a very slight bleeding. Using a black screen and standing in a dark closet, I did notice a very small amount at the bottom. For me it's not a problem as I don't, or haven't noticed any during normal use. But I do have a problem with mine and that is with the quality of the build. When I got home with mine, I noticed that in the top right corner a slight separation between the aluminum backing and the nylon (?) trim on the front. Now I am noticing the separation spread across the top and other points around the edge. I called tech support, and they are providing me with a replacement tomorrow morning at my local Apple store. One of the things that has attracted me to Apple products since my first purchase in the mid 70's was the impeccable detail to quality. This is my first Apple product where I have noticed a slight defect. I guess it had to happen sooner or later. It's nice when a company stands behind what they sell.

iRuthlessPad

iPF Novice
Reaction score
But dude do u get a NEW ipad or is it refurbished..pleez keep that in mind...coz most people i know who have had issues (like bleeding or dent) have got refurbished sets (brown box) from Apple..

Ryxsolo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But dude do u get a NEW ipad or is it refurbished..pleez keep that in mind...coz most people i know who have had issues (like bleeding or dent) have got refurbished sets (brown box) from Apple..

The brown boxes for iPad 2s are not refurbs yet.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is screen bleeding on every set sold i guess..even here in india.. i guess they give u a refurbished set instead of a NEW one...

Two incorrect statements here. Screen bleeding is NOT on every set sold and typically the replacement it is NOT a refurbished set.

Where DO you get your facts?

OP
M

Mungo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Took my ipad 2 into local Apple store today as suffering from back light bleed, staff checked it and exchanged it for a brand new one, tested that......... No bleed, happy days. Also got a £25 itunes voucher to re-imburse me for the screen protector on my old ipad :)

ctsluder

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad 1 had a back bleed and I took it in to the apple store and they gave me a new one, they made sure I new it was not a refurb, this was 2 days ago.

Last edited:

Most reactions