Will iPad 3G purchased in USA work in UK?

Discussion in 'iPad Travel Forum' started by Addicted2it, Apr 22, 2010.

1. sayerle

sayerle iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    iPAD 3G is unlocked!!!!!!

I called AppleCare support TODAY & they confirmed it is UNLOCKED!!

I guess they now have the updated info!!

So, all you need to do is pop a micro-sim card from a UK carrier for iPAD & it'll turn into a UK iPAD (of whatever country you're in). Great news but Steve Jobs explicitly stated this at his keynote on 27th June!

It wouldn't make any sense to lock it given all the unlock programs out there anyway!!
  2. col.bris

col.bris Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +484 / 0

It is unlocked just need a sim for the country you live in. Getting a micro sim will be the only issue
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  3. cultman1

cultman1 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    will i pad 3g work in uk

How much does it cost to get a i pad 3g sim card in the UK and will there be monthly roaming charges in the Uk if i buy my 32gb 3g I pad from the USA? Thank sBruce
  4. sayerle

sayerle iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    iPAD 3G

Since you will be connecting to the local UK provider service you should be charged the standard rate that a UK iPAD owner would be charged. Why would you be charged a roaming fee if you had say a Vodaphone micro sim in your iPAD & were using it on their network in the UK?

The question really is whether the "breakthrough" low data usage rates seen with AT&T will be available in micro sim cards you buy separately to pop into your machine? I don't really see why not. The beauty of the iPAD is that it will be an internationally portable & compatible device. Hopefully, this will start a price war from new ' competing providers who want to provide data usage for iPAD so one would hope the prices would be driven down.

On Monday we will see how the UK data plans compare with the US when iPAD is available for preorder. I am moving back to the UK in 2 weeks & will buy 2 3G iPADs from the US in anticipation of the likely price difference so will need to get my hands on a micro sim asap. It is unclear as yet if/ when the UK service providers will be selling micro sims separately & whether the monthly data plans will be the same as the UK iPADs bought with the card already in.

I suspect the UK providers aren't that interested in the device itself & will want to cash in on all those seeking to buy a micro sim separately....
  5. sayerle

sayerle iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    iPAD 3G

By the way, AT&T are selling iPAD micro sim cards for $15 on their website which bodes well for rapid availability of UK iPAD micro sims separate from the iPAD....
  6. cultman1

cultman1 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thank you for your reply. I am on with O2 in the UK and have an i phone with this service provider on a contract basis.
    Since the IPAD 3G is not a phone but amongst everything else an internet roaming device there will obviously be a monthly service charge + start up cost from whoever provides the micro card? ie 02? Whilst it is also WIFI compatable most UK Wifi hotspots are locked to greedy entrepreneurs whom will demand a charge to unlock their wifi facility for useage then and there! Our local pub for example charges £5. I am concerned that when using the IPAD as an internet device we UK users will be clobbered with hefty additional charges from our existing mobile provider (i.e 02) just to be able to use it in this capacity. Can you clarify completely that this is not the case?
    Much appreciated
  7. Jjuan

Jjuan iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    In case still wondering on this question, I bought my iPad 3G in the US ( Palo Alto Apple Store ) and have it since working now with a Vodafone UK SIM with no problem. I just had to cut the SIM following the reference of the ATT microsim that came inside the iPad itself and with some help of Google Images ( someone who did with a Telstra sim)
    Ask me if you need any help.
  8. Zorban

Zorban iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I did it the same way too. I took a sim from the Swedish operator 3 and cut it down and smoothed it out with a nail file. Works great. The 3G signal is strong but the speeds are not that good. I think that has to do with the network more than the iPad.
  9. FirstApple

FirstApple iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi. I bought 64 +3G here in china (shenzhen) with AT&T sim inside the slot. I am now looking here at china mobile or china unicom if they have available microsim and will let you know if this will work. :D
  10. Sehat

Sehat iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    iPad in Indonesia

I have a 64GB, 3G ipad in Jakarta. I bought a SIM card from the largest carrier here, Telkomsel, and cut it to fit in the iPad. I activated and registered the SIM card to carry data, and got confirmation on this through SMS (while the card was in my mobile). I have the correct APN settings in the iPad, and it gets a great signal. However, it will not connect to the internet! Does this mean I will have to jailbreak, or does this mean I am still a complete novice with Apple devices (since this is my 1st)?
    Thanks
  11. andy p

andy p iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    US ipads in Uk

I purchased my iPad in the US and I recently was in England and I am now in France.

While in the UK, I went to an O2 store and obtained a Microsim card from O2 AT NO COST. Once I connected the iPad to a computer with Itunes (a real pain while traveling without another computer) I had to set up an account and a system of paying (again not easy without a UK credit card), my iPad became a UK iPad -- using the O2 network for 3g connection at the local rates.

I'm still trying to work things out in France. Orange has fair rates, but they will not set up an account without you having a French bank account. Fortunately, I have a French friend who opened the account today -- and will eliminate the month to month coverage after I leave France. Of course, I paid for the actual charge as a payment between friends.

My current problem is the orange microsim card (again provided without charge) is locked, and I am clueless as to how to unlock it -- I will contact my friend to see if a password was set at the time the account was set up.

I hope that this helps.
  12. Gilberto

Gilberto iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Account o2 uk

I was wondering: how did you open an o2 account in uk without an uk credit card. I am also travelling and had the same kind of problems you had. In italy i was able to open a vodafone account paying cash. Thanks
  13. alexjames93

alexjames93 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0

Hi, This all sounds great,
    can you confrim that:

1. It definatly works in the UK with no issues
    2. That you had to wait until you got back to the UK to turn the ipad on

Thanks!
  14. Buzzfriend

Buzzfriend iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi. We bought a prepaid card through three...easy easy setup...no need for ituns
  15. Hopedm

Hopedm iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Olympics bound

I do not have a 3G ,so how can I use my iPad in London? I have a 4.2.1, 14 GB model.
  16. Gabriel1

Gabriel1 Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +749 / 0
    You could invest in myfi personal hotspot as soon as you get here. Lots of hotels have wifi available as do places like Starbucks and I've no doubt there will be a lot of wifi networks opening up in and around the Olympic site......at a price!

The Archangel
  17. Tim SPRACKLEN

Tim SPRACKLEN iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0
    There are lots of free and pay-for WiFi hotspots in London; you'll have no trouble at all, as the previous poster suggested. Most franchises - Starbucks, MacDonalds etc have them, hotels, public libraries, public buildings, trains, some buses, airport departure lounges, malls, the list is endless. In fact, I'd be surprised if there's anywhere in London where you *can't* pick up WiFi - though now I'm going to be deluged with posts telling me I'm wrong......

Tim
    Scotland