Does Ipad-2 3g bought in USA work in other countries with their respective carriers??

Discussion in 'iPad Travel Forum' started by sauravkeshan, Jun 10, 2011.

1. sauravkeshan

sauravkeshan iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I do not stay in US but im visiting SanFrancisco and I plan to buy a 3g ipad2..so can I use the sim of my carrier when I get back to my country???
  2. wytey

wytey iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    According to Apple, yes, you just need to purchase a micro sim card from said carrier

I bleed in 6 colours
  3. Tim SPRACKLEN

Tim SPRACKLEN iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0
    First of all, you need to purchase the AT&T model and not the Verizon iPad. The Verizon model will not work in most other countries.

Most - but not all - Members have found that they need to 'initialise' the 3G service on their iPad in the US before returning home. It seems as though the software on the AT&T iPad leads you through an initialisation process that is specific to AT&T. Once you've done that, for sure, it works just fine with any other microSIM. As to whether this US initialisation is absolutely necessary, we've received conflicting reports but by far the majority of Members who have purchased iPads in the US initialise them there and, for sure, we've had reports from Members who have not and have then been unable to get them working in their home country. But, to be fair, some apparently have been able to do this.

Tim
    • Like Like x 1
  4. thewitt

thewitt iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0
    The initialization is not necessary, however if you want to use it in the US you will need to call AT&T and give them your IMEI number when you dignity up for a plan. You can find this in the About section

I've done this with three different iPads now, purchased in the US, shipped abroad without activating in the US, then returning to the US and setting up with AT&T

-t
    • Like Like x 1
  5. sauravkeshan

sauravkeshan iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for the reply..When you went abroad did you use the ipad 3g with the microsim of the carriers in the respective countries you went to??
  6. thewitt

thewitt iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0
    Yes. I'm currently in Malaysia with two iPads purchased in the US and never "activated" with the AT&T SIM.

When I return to the US for a month this summer, I will call AT&T and sign up for one month service, giving them the code to activate my SIM card.

Then when I return to Malaysia, I'll just swap SIM cards back.

-t
  7. Sagittarii

Sagittarii iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hello,
    Did you managed to buy the Ipad2? Does it work with other carrier?
  8. thewitt

thewitt iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0
    iPads are not carrier locked. They will work on any GSM network that supports data.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Sagittarii

Sagittarii iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for the quick comment!
    Your Ipads you have wrote about are Ipad2 models?
  10. thewitt

thewitt iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0
    iPad 1 and 2. Makes no difference.
  11. Sagittarii

Sagittarii iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks a lot!
  12. grapesx2

grapesx2 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm living in Greece and have not been able to use another sim card in my iPad 2 (purchased in the US with ATT sim card) and, in fact Apple told me to check into an international plan with ATT (this advice came from a support call supervisor!) which made me laugh as they had just told me it's an unlocked device. However, I see on this forum that some folks have to initialize the iPad and I have seen other discussions talking about changing the APN settings a topic about which I'm not conversant.

I will be going to the States for a bit and plan to talk to Apple about this frustration but any thoughts or ideas or recommendations are appreciated!
  13. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +443 / 0
    Try Cosmote, many locations for SIM cards:

COSMOTE: Mobile Internet on your computer

AT&T iPads should be unlocked.

Carriers in some countries sell locked iPads, but those are sold subsidized, so they're locked so that the carrier can recoup its subsidy by locking buyers into a data contract. If you paid full retail for your iPad, it shouldn't be locked.
  14. grapesx2

grapesx2 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thank you so much! Unfortunately, I have tried Cosmote twice and the tech inserting it says it is not working despite comparing it to his own iPad there in the store (so he knows what he's doing apparently); is there something else we need to do other than simply insert a new sim card--e.g. change some settings?
  15. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +443 / 0
    There are some settings that need changing sometimes, but I don't know which. I bought my iPad in one country and used it in another for the first time, and the guy in the carrier shop knew which settings to change. But I don't know whether that's necessary for all countries, because I've also gone to some other places and was able to use my iPad by just changing SIM cards. Maybe you should try another shop or another salesperson, because they might know different things. The guy whom you dealt with might not know to adjust settings.
  16. thewitt

thewitt iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0
    There are no settings that must be changed to use an iPad purchased in one country in another country.

There are some things like International keyboards and local time zones you may want to adjust, but all you need is a SIM card with a data plan and you are all set.
  17. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +443 / 0
    I wouldn't make blanket statements like this unless familiar with carrier details in all countries. I remember seeing a carrier store guy adjusting my settings after replacing my SIM card, and it wasn't time or date, which I later adjusted myself. In some countries, there's also a 24-hour wait period before a SIM card is activated. But that again varies from country to country, and perhaps depending on where you bought your iPad and where you're trying to use it.

OP, have you tried borrowing a SIM card that you know is working in another device? That might help you test.
  18. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +443 / 0
    OP, this might shed light:

iOS: Installing carrier settings updates

Additional Information
    Note: If you insert a new SIM or micro-SIM card into your iPhone or iPad, you'll need to download the carrier settings for the new carrier wirelessly. Carrier settings are available only for iPhone support carriers and iPad partner carriers. If you're not using a partner carrier, you will need to set up the carrier's settings manually. Refer to your carrier for appropriate settings. iOS: About cellular data network settings (viewing or editing the APN)
  19. thewitt

thewitt iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0
    APN username and password settings are not unique to the iPad or iPhone. If the carrier needs to set these, I would expect the technician in the cell phone store to understand this already - as he would have to set these for every device, not just an iPad.

Nothing specific to the iPad needs to be adjusted to use it with any data plan and GSM carrier.

We've set up hundreds of devices purchased is several different countries on both carrier partners and non-partners in over a dozen countries.
  20. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +443 / 0
    OP, see if you can nudge your carrier store people in this direction, to see whether APN is your prob:

APN Settings for iPad 3G | Touch User Guide

This list might be outdated, but it might get them pointed in the right direction if they haven't tried.

And if they haven't already offered to swap out a SIM card that they know is working on another device, they've overlooked a quick way to check whether the SIM card or the hardware might be the prob. Often, SIM cards are just duds, even when new.