WIFI Problems

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by imaxipad, Apr 16, 2010.

1. pjbugs007

pjbugs007
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    None here either wifi only 64 iPad and I have the dreaded FIOS

2. figmo10

figmo10
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    I rarely use wifi and when I do, it's at one of two commercial locations that require a password to join. I've had no trouble. Fully 95%of my usage is 3G and I'm more than pleased.

3. Isaac Newton

Isaac Newton
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    On occasion I find the connectivity is slower initializing a wifi signal. My kids touch can sense a signal literally the second we hit one. My 32G wifi mimics molasses on occasion!

4. rle737ng

rle737ng
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I have not had any wifi problems. It is solid at home and worked fine while traveling in a hotel room with weak wifi signal. I will try it again this week when I travel again. So far, I have not used 3G.

5. lp1968

lp1968
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I have had my 16GB WiFi since day 1 and have been to the Apple store twice, exchanged once, called Fios support once and Apple phone support twice. I am still have a few problems but nothing compared to before Apple phone support. I still will drop Wifi at least once or twice a night. However before I spoke to phone support it was about every 15 minutes it would drop out. I have read a lot it does seem there might be an issue with FIOS. I love my iPad but am waiting impatiently for a firmware upgrade:rolleyes:

6. Jay Bergen

Jay Bergen
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Fix for Wifi Problems with Verizon Fios

There are multiple fixes for this problem showing up on the various forums.
    The iPad seems to work fine with virtually every router but the one from Actiontec that is supplied to Verizon Fios users.

The solution that worked for me (http://www.myappleguide.com/blogs/iphone-world/3471/fix-ipad-wi-fi-dropping-issue-with-verizon-fios-actiontec-router) was to change the router from WEP to WPA and change the wireless channel from "auto" to Channel 6.
    Others may find that they get better results with Channel 11 or Channel 1.

If you do try this, be aware that you will have to set up all of your wi-fi devices again (in my case that meant 2 wireless printers, wireless blu-ray player, squeezebox and squeezebox boom). It was a royal PITA.

Hope this helps some of you.

7. DuggerOregon

DuggerOregon
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    My issue may be a bit different. I have multiple AirPorts around my home, a Time Capsule, AirPort Extreme and a AirPort Express. I find that the iPad locks onto one signal and will not flip over to a new network even when the signal is weak without me going into settings and manually moving to the new network. I've searched but have not found an App that would allow me to change networks easily from the "desktop", any suggestions?

8. kevbo

kevbo
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I have weak WiFi signal. I live in a small three room apartment and I have trouble in the room 15 feet from my router. I was trying to show off NetFlix and it wouldn't load. On my balcony, which is maybe 25 feet from the router, it is terrible. My connection is 12mbps and on my balcony speed tests show 1.5mbps and stop intermittently.

My Droid gets 3/4 bars and it is exactly in the same spot.

9. Zardoz

Zardoz
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I have the sleep problem only sometimes, I justmhave to go reconnect. Not to big of an issue for me, i would not give up on apple as of yet relese 4 is going to be big and who knows what will happen then.

#19 Zardoz, May 5, 2010
    Last edited: May 5, 2010
  10. Trebor

Trebor
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Had similar issue. Returned 64gb wifi to app lee store. New one started to act up. Solution to change wep to wpa worked. Also on fios.