WiFi Only vs. 3G: How to Decide

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by stevenflaugher, Mar 21, 2010.

1. Edlex

Edlex
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Well I just couldn't take it anymore. Just preordered the 3g 64Gb ipad. Now the horrid waiting.

2. gentlefury

gentlefury
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    yeah if you root your droid you can install the wifi tether app and use your droid as a hotspot...works really well.

3. Finnedog

Finnedog
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:

WHAT??? is rooting a Droid :confused: at first I thought booting but then not sure at all. Interested as the Droid may be my next phone, no ATT here so no iPhone.

4. gentlefury

gentlefury
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Similar to iPhone Jailbreak...it just means you add root (linux for administrator) access to applications...allows for more advanced control of the device.

5. kvmkvm

kvmkvm
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    went with wiFi

I opted for wifi; I have an AT&T quicksilver usb modem for my lap top.

I have ben looking for answers ( hacks) that will allow me to plus it into my ipda; if not I can always find a Starbucks \ McDonalds ; that att allows for wifi under my data plan.

6. Finnedog

Finnedog
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Looked it up and finally understand what they are saying about hacking the iPad and the iPhone. This is not why I got a Mac, I just want it to work, every time.

7. HX_Guy

HX_Guy
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Im with you on that one.

I kept going back and forth, back and forth, after I found out about the Wifi Hotspot app for Jailbroken iPhones but I can't Jailbreak my iPhone (3GS w/ 3.1.3 and newest basebad...no Jailbreak available yet) but really...I don't want to have to worry that I can't upgrade my iPhones firmware or worry that I don't have the phone on me or that the battery is dead or almost dead and the tethering would drain it even faster.

8. gentlefury

gentlefury
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Never said you had to do it, just said I will and it's an option. I would never use att service.

9. Finnedog

Finnedog
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    And we never said that you should not or even that we are not interested in all the things you can do with a modified phone, just that I am more interested in just having an invisible device that does exactly the same thing every time. I never want to see a blue screen with white letters ever again.

With all the apps on the app store, I will always have new features to try, with more than a reasonable chance it will not crash my iPad.

10. iserian

iserian
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Just convert your USB modem to something like the Verizon Mifi (assuming ATT has one) - I plan to use the Mifi with my wifi Ipad.