What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Other Than The Obvious, What Are The Advantages of Getting 3G?

Mike4AU

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I will be buying an iPad 2, my first iPad. I have WiFi connections out the ying-yang and when I don't, like in a moving car, I will hotspot to pick up 3G. I know that one needs 3G for good and reliable GPS, but beyond that, what, if any, are the advantages of getting an iPad with 3G? And I understand that one does not need a data plan to be able to use the GPS (correct?)

For example, are there some really good apps that use GPS?

Thanks for any help.

Mike

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad 3G does not need 3G for GPS. It has true GPS functionality even with 3G radio turned off.

The WiFi only iPad has no such true GPS: it only uses WiFi for location services.

So besides 3G it is indeed GPS where the two models differ.

Michael

Sundancer007

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I will use my 3g for marine use and fishing. The 3g gives you gps for the obvious. I was thinking of getting Ipad 2 wi fi and then buying the powerful Bad Elf or GNS 5870 MIFI Bluetooth gps for the ipad 2 wi fi version. This way i would have a more powerful gps and i think Bad Elf is waas enabled and maybe the GNS 5870 is also. It seems many pilots use these on the ipads. Then as i would read, it seemed some gps apps would not download to the ipad wi fi only version.

So i went ahead and got the 3g version for internal gps and it is suppose to be a good gps that comes with it. I thought also it would be a few momths i would prepay some airtime thru Verizon as well to use when i didn't have wi fi. I think i will also get the more powerful GNS 5870 MIFI as it seems to load faster and is more stronger and you can move the GNS 5870 around anywhere you want.

I guess it is a matter if you feel like you would ever use gps app programs or you would need any service from AT&T or Verizon.

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wirblig 3G your clock will Run too fast or too Slow.
Beeide the obviuos , you can't Surf if there is nö wifi.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Some of the Augmented Reality apps use GPS info to tell you about where you are and/or play games. Most are for the iPhone 4, but they should update for the iPad 2 now since it has a camera.

You can use some pretty cool map programs like Topo Maps and MotionX GPS for hiking, hunting geocaching, etc. Much easier planning and tracking stuff on a bigger screen.

You could can the GPS apps almost all day without running out of battery, unlike your phone.

The 3G might come in handy when you're phone's batter is dead and you can't plug it in. Since you can activate it any time, it's a good emergency/backup connection.

Mostly, for me, it's just about convenience. I don't want to dig out my phone, activate the hotspot, and wait for it to connect every time I want to look something up on my iPad. I'm a lazy instant gratification sort of person, and as long as I can afford it sooner is better.

(sigh) right now it's going to be another several weeks before I can afford it. I won't buy an iPad without 3G and a GPS.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mostly, for me, it's just about convenience. I don't want to dig out my phone, activate the hotspot, and wait for it to connect every time I want to look something up on my iPad. I'm a lazy instant gratification sort of person, and as long as I can afford it sooner is better.

This is me. Plus I need to be able to pop online on a dime, fast, when I'm out in the field.

Most reactions

Latest posts