What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WiFi issue with I-Pad2

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
i certainly got wi-fi issues. the issue is it's just so damned fast!!!!!

this is the biggest shock and joy for me from my device so far - the wifi is blisteringly fast, with great reception too. it's almost as fast as being hard-wired directly into the router. all other wi-fi devices i've used in the past are pretty slow, but not this baby.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
iRockSteady said:
Idk what apple is up to but I haven't heard anything at all about them fixing this. Pretty annoying. I hate having multiple devices with strong signals while my iPad 2 is struggling... Not cool. Like I said earlier, maybe they ignored the strength of the wifi card in this to promote getting a 3G model... This is my ONLY complaint. I love everything else.

Not sure what brand router you have but change the wifi security settings this some times fixes issues like this

This is another fix that has worked for many users.

- Sometimes after you perform a upgrade from say iOS 3. to iOS 4.2 *the iPad or iPhone wifi or 3G speeds *may be slow.*
- This is an easy fix which does work. Please do the following:
1. Go to Settings->General->Reset
2. Then select "Reset Network Settings" (this will not erase ur devices content, music, videos, email, etc. It will only erase any WiFi networks you have defined).
3. Once your device completes the action and gives you the normal home screen or Passcode screen, go ahead and power your device down and once you are sure the device is fully powered down wait an additional 60sec to allow internal components to fully discharge.
4. After the 60sec is up, power on your device again and re-add any encrypted WiFi networks you had defined.
5. Enjoy the "back to normal" WiFi and 3G speeds like you had prior to the OS upgrade.*

I will say this again as I have said many times before The iPad along with the iPhone and many devices such as playstation, xbox and other mobile devices are using the latest "n" wifi unfortunately many older modems have issues with connecting. One can jump up and down and state it is fine with my pc or mac but that is not the point what happens the devices hiccup with newer products. Changing security settings on net gear for example fixes lots of connectivity issues. One should also check to see if an upgrade for the modem router is available as this offend resolves connection problems as well. In every case where nothing seems to resolve the issue I have replaced existing modems/ routers or routers with Netgear 300 models (N300 Wireless Router
WNR2000) and problem was resolved. In a lot of cases users have a modem of one brand type and a router. Different brand in this case just replace both with a late model modem/ router. One problem of course is if you are mobile you log into a router that is owned by someone else so it's not possible to fix it. I hope this helps some users and reduce the frustration.

This is from Apple's support which really backs up my discussion.

Apple support reference wifi connection problems:

If you are using a Wi-Fi router at home, refer to your user manual/documentation to assist you with some of these suggestions.

Check the manufacturer's website for firmware or software updates for your Wi-Fi router.
Check the wireless security option of your Wi-Fi router:
If you are using WEP security and have multiple WEP keys on your Wi-Fi router, try configuring your Wi-Fi router to use only a single WEP key in key index 1.
Consider using WPA or WPA2 instead. WPA and WPA2 encryption protocols are newer, more effective security options for wireless networks than the older WEP protocol.
Temporarily disable wireless encryption or security on the Wi-Fi router to rule out encryption issues.
Try resetting (turning off and then on again) your Wi-Fi router. Note: If your ISP also provides cable or phone service, check with them before attempting this step to avoid interruption of service.

Finally. I had problems with my wifi connections with Apple TV, iPad and 2 iPhones yet the MacBook was fine. I replaced my older router with the latest net gear 300 router and now all is well I am on Telstra cable so I am stuck with there modem however I added the net gear and disabled the Telstra wifi and gained 40% increase in performance 14 MBS per second down load with net gear and 10 MBS per sec with Telstra cable modem wifi. All devices connect no problem and all have consistent speed. If you are a heavy user ie down load movies as well as stream lots of video as well as use playstation or xbox and then I would use the net gear dual band router N600 WIRELESS DUAL BAND ROUTER
WNDR3400

I am not affiliated with net gear however my reason for using there products in Australia for the past 15 years is they provide excellent support plus in 90% of cases has resolved many issues with networks. Other manufactures also offer solutions such as D link etc however I have had no experience with those brands as I just replace them with net gear.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts