What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

wifi range

gbmaui

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just got iPad2 (new user). Have an older Linksys 802.11b 2.4GHz router (BEFW11S4). It sits about 50-60 feet away in our office (another building, but right next to our house). Window sliding door separates our house from the window/wall of the office (not metal or anything - just a standard exterior wall). We have one PC laptop connected in the office, an iMac in the house with good connection, another PC laptop in the house with good connection. The iPad2 has the worst connection in the house - I barely get a signal even if I sit right next to the iMac that gets a good signal. We are also having trouble with a new AppleTV that sits just 4 feet from the iMac. It has yet to connect well enough to view a Netflix show. Why are the two newest apple items having a hard time getting a good signal? They are both literally 60 feet from the router and right next to an iMac getting a decent signal. Advice? Any way to boost the signal? Thanks!!

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Linksys make a signal booster/repeater/range extender that's very useful in these situations

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Cisco-Linksys-WSB24-Wireless-B-Signal-Booster/dp/B000085BD7]Amazon.com: Cisco-Linksys WSB24 Wireless-B Signal Booster: Electronics[/ame]

Tim

madhatter61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just got iPad2 (new user). Have an older Linksys 802.11b 2.4GHz router (BEFW11S4). It sits about 50-60 feet away in our office (another building, but right next to our house). Window sliding door separates our house from the window/wall of the office (not metal or anything - just a standard exterior wall). We have one PC laptop connected in the office, an iMac in the house with good connection, another PC laptop in the house with good connection. The iPad2 has the worst connection in the house - I barely get a signal even if I sit right next to the iMac that gets a good signal. We are also having trouble with a new AppleTV that sits just 4 feet from the iMac. It has yet to connect well enough to view a Netflix show. Why are the two newest apple items having a hard time getting a good signal? They are both literally 60 feet from the router and right next to an iMac getting a decent signal. Advice? Any way to boost the signal? Thanks!!

Get a new high router. Data rates are up to 5 times faster with a G router vs B. and 10 times faster of N over G. But you also need to match the routers and modems. A higher speed like N is backward compatible with B or G. But they will run at the B speed so you gain nothing.

If you want to stream it takes higher data rates so that buffering doesn't cause start and stop of the display. The display demands high data rate and your B router is too slow. When a high speed modem tries to connect to the lower capability of the old router there are always undesirable consequences.

Last edited:

Dorje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would echo that. I'm surprised it hasn't died on you yet. My router 802.11G of almost 7 years finally keeled over and I got an N. Good boost to all my N type devices. I may have to buy my roommate an N network card just so we can fully transition without any backwards support. ;)

Also apple proved with the iPhone 4 that the little bars really are not objective measures. I'd try speed test sites.... speedtest.net and see what it says.

Last edited:
OP
G

gbmaui

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! Will try a new N router and hope that helps - appreciate the feedback!

gmaines

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Please let us know. after 5 years, I just got a new N one...Wow, what a difference. You will love it.

OP
G

gbmaui

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Holy COW! got the N router and the difference is unbelievable! Thank you for the recommendation - everything is connected and the speed is awsome! ipad, apple-tv and all computers zipping along! yahoo!! :)

Whitsun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A quick question for Madhatter61. Currently I have a router from netgear with wireless N technology. How can I determine if my modem matches? It's An Arris Touchstone Telephony Modem, model number TM502G. My wifi signal strength seems sort of weak for supposedly being N. I've called Comcast/xfinity a bunch of times and no one seems to know what I'm talking about. All they say is, "Comcast typically provides the latest technology." I've also looked on the modem itself, and looked up its specs online? The latter is just too complex for me and I might have just missed it. I can't provide link yet cause I'm a newb, but just google the model number and it comes up.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Last edited:

ipadder474

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have a Netgear N300 and it's super good.
Everything I have ipad iPhone Mac Pro Kindal Fire and a bunch of Windows computers all connect and are quick.

Most reactions

Latest posts