What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

wifi hard drive

macfoot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi i got ipad 1 and have been told you can get a wifi hard drive which will work with any ipad ?
has any one on here used one and if so where can you get them from

HappyPelican

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There is the Kingston Wi drive you could try and I know many people here favor the Seagate. Either google or try Amazon and you should find a wealth of information. Good luck!

Mbspears

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have 3 options for you: Airstash which let's you use any SD card and broadcasts using an ad-hoc wi-fi connection. I believe it is now under the Maxell brand -- it was independent when i got it. Kingston Wi-Drive works the same way, but has fixed memory (no SD or USB) -- comes in 16 or 32 Gb. I just to the 32 Gb for < $90. The third is the CloudFTP sold by Hypershop. This broadcasts an ad-hoc wi-Fi connection or it can join an existing wireless network. This device has a powered USB slot so you can you a USB stick, portable hard drive, or memory card reader. I have all 3 - Wi-Drive is nice as it is the size of an iPhone, but is not expandable. Airstash is ok, but seems too slow for video streaming sometimes. CloudFTP rocks! This started as a Kickstarter project by a college engineering student. Expandable with any USB Drive. I will now travel with that and a 500Gb hard drive for lots of videos! Both CloudFTP and WiDrive have no trouble streaming 1080p video!

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mbspears said:
I have 3 options for you: Airstash which let's you use any SD card and broadcasts using an ad-hoc wi-fi connection. I believe it is now under the Maxell brand -- it was independent when i got it. Kingston Wi-Drive works the same way, but has fixed memory (no SD or USB) -- comes in 16 or 32 Gb. I just to the 32 Gb for < $90. The third is the CloudFTP sold by Hypershop. This broadcasts an ad-hoc wi-Fi connection or it can join an existing wireless network. This device has a powered USB slot so you can you a USB stick, portable hard drive, or memory card reader. I have all 3 - Wi-Drive is nice as it is the size of an iPhone, but is not expandable. Airstash is ok, but seems too slow for video streaming sometimes. CloudFTP rocks! This started as a Kickstarter project by a college engineering student. Expandable with any USB Drive. I will now travel with that and a 500Gb hard drive for lots of videos! Both CloudFTP and WiDrive have no trouble streaming 1080p video!

I just checked out the CloudFTP device and it looks fantastic......I'm going to have to get myself one of those.

The Archangel

OP
M

macfoot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi thanks for that i like the CloudFTP can i ask where about you got yours ?
i live in England

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't have one yet, I live in the UK too, I googled CloudFTP+uk and got a few sites that appear to stock it.

The Archangel

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
When they say a USB hard drive. Does that mean like my Toshiba external HD 500GB which runs off my Toshiba laptop or do I have to buy a portable HD. Sorry to be dense but I'd like to know.

Sent from my new iPad using iPF

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hayles66 said:
When they say a USB hard drive. Does that mean like my Toshiba external HD 500GB which runs off my Toshiba laptop or do I have to buy a portable HD. Sorry to be dense but I'd like to know.

Any external HD which can be hooked up to a USB socket.....in fact you can connect camcorders, cameras, just about anything that can connect to a USB and has a memory.

The Archangel

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Wow! That does sound good. I could leave my laptop forever. Dreaming......

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Mbspears said:

I don't see the advantage of the cloudftp device over the air stash and a large sdxc card or several sdhc cards. The air stash is small by comparison so it travels easy compared to both the cloud device and some USB hard drive. And the speed is dependent on the speed of the storage. I have streamed 1080p on the air stash too with no problem. Actually, that's not saying a whole lot because the bit rate of the encode is more important than the resolution. That why so 50GB blu ray is not the same as a 2gb rip of the same movie.

Right now, I'm streaming to 1080p rips from the Air Stash at the same time (one to iPad the other to iPhone 4S). I'm also downloading a third movie to my laptop. All of it is working great. I don't see any reason to think that the Air Stash is slow...unless you put a slow SDHC card inside.

BTW, I'm talking about the Air Stash A02.

Last edited:

ajcgn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am using FileBrowser to connect to my time capsule wireless hard drive. While it is not really portable, it works great around the house and I was able to configure it for remote access as well.

Rockbottom

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I also use FileBrowser . It is great. I also have a folder on my NAS drive that I sync with my IPad/Goodreader for the files I want to carry around.

Sent from my iPad2 3G 32 gig (not JB'ed) / using iPF

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
While I like the concept of the cloudftp, I have to say the price is a little much. I think I would prefer the air stash ao2 , but then again, I rarely have much need for high storage capacity. Just one or two 32gb SDHC cards would suffice.

romeosc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
While I like the concept of the cloudftp, I have to say the price is a little much. I think I would prefer the air stash ao2 , but then again, I rarely have much need for high storage capacity. Just one or two 32gb SDHC cards would suffice.

Airstash is great for making copies of SD camera cards in the field! I plan on using my on Safari in Tanzania with a USB charger that uses AA batteries!

Most reactions

Latest posts