What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wi fi won't turn on

adz_1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm a new iPad user and I was hoping someone could tell me why my wi fi turned off by itself and now will not reconnect or turn back on. I've tried to turn it on manually and still no luck.
Is this common?

Jockscrap

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The very same thing has happened to me this evening, about the time you posted. I left it for a wee while but it didn't reconnect, but the problem was solved by turning the iPad off (not just to sleep - hold the button down till the power off slider appears), then restarting. I was connected when I turned the iPad back on.

I've had it happen once or twice before, but not often.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, I've seen the wifi radio stick off before, and as Jockscrap mentioned, a reboot of the iPad normally sorts it out quickly. Most likely it just means the process has hung or crashed. Nothing to worry about. The iPad is generally very stable with IOS, but sometimes an app or process will have a funny moment, just like any other device.

OP
adz_1

adz_1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'd be very disappointed if my iPhone 4 ends up being more reliable than my iPad 2. Even though rebooting is a quick fix, I expect a lot more than what I'm seeing so far. I hope I don't regret purchasing this iPad instead of waiting for the 3rd edition.

Jockscrap

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've had it happen to me maybe twice or three times since I got my iPad at the end of May. I really don't think you need to worry. I was given mine as a birthday pressie from my lovely DH. I hadn't asked for one, desired one or thought i'd use one, but fortunately my DH knows me better than I do! Since getting my ipad, it never leaves my side, I use it constantly for everything and I couldn't imagine life without it now. Enjoy!

MacOsxPT

iPF Noob
Reaction score
HAppens the same to me When my ipad 2 is in standby than I wake it up the Wifi is connected but with no internet.
I need to turn wifi off and then on again. this is very annoying I read is something abouth the firmware.

I did a test I turn off the Wpa in the router and change to No Security and it seems fix the problem. Looks like is some conflict with authetifications.

try to do that and let me know...

MacOsxPT

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ok I tested it put it to sleep and wake it up several times and now I dont have any problem with wifi conectivity. I had to change it to No authetification so now my router has no password at all and to have some save I hide the SSID
I think for now is the solution

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'd be very disappointed if my iPhone 4 ends up being more reliable than my iPad 2. Even though rebooting is a quick fix, I expect a lot more than what I'm seeing so far. I hope I don't regret purchasing this iPad instead of waiting for the 3rd edition.

Adz - good luck w/ your Wi-Fi issue, hopefully just an infrequent fluke - rebooting the iPad is often a good first step w/ 'stuck' or 'frozen' apps - you can also 'close' an individual app by double-tapping the home button, holding the 'offending' app until the jiggling starts and closing the app - :)

Also, from the statement above, I don't believe that you've lived long enough w/ the iPad to yet regret your choice - every day will likely bring you a better understanding of the device and the numerous and widely variable uses of it - enjoy!

pavad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had same problem.
I solved it by turning off and than turn on again. Try to do same.
If you get this error again and again - try renew system or go to service.

MacOsxPT

iPF Noob
Reaction score
but that is not a solution to turn wifi off and on again thats stupid.

I know this is not good too but as I said try to unchek password authetification in your router. Free Wifi and hide SSID
you will see the problem is solved

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
but that is not a solution to turn wifi off and on again thats stupid.

I know this is not good too but as I said try to unchek password authetification in your router. Free Wifi and hide SSID
you will see the problem is solved

Well, there are likely a number of solutions to router & iPad connection issues, but to call one that has obviously worked for a number of users stupid is not only arrogant but discourteous to other members here.

And whether your solution will work for others is yet another matter - many would not like to go w/o password protection on their router's security - plus, turning off SSID broadcasting is useless to the savvy who have the know how and software to 'sniff out' a network's name. Peace - :)

MacOsxPT

iPF Noob
Reaction score
turn off and on wifi works for everybody and the method is stupid I did not call the member stupid but the way to make it works.

I'm not afraid to has my router with no passwd and with hide SSID... who gonna hack me and what do will they get? Free internet? I also have it so whts the matter... whatever

I'm trying to help to make it easier and not to have always turn off and on and on and off ....

ps: you really need peace you are a kind of nervous

MacOsxPT

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I found another solution... change router authetification to WEP ipad will has no more problems.

jmmitler

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello, I am new to this forum. Have the same problem.My WIFI stopped working on my IPad 2 but my computer works with the same internet connection. When trying to connect to Safari or email, message is "connection to server failed". I also have Time Warner cable and a Cisco wireless router. Have rebooted IPad a few times and it did not work. Anyone has the answer how to fix it? Thanks much.

Most reactions

Latest posts