What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wi-fi won't stay connected

zuluwhiskeyfox

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My Wi-fi connection fails after every time I put my iPad4 down. The only way to re-establish a connection is to reboot. If I go to settings/wi-fi it sees my network and the little spinning wheel as if it's trying. It never connects. I have tried clicking on forget this network and re-establish. Re-spring. That doesn't work. Nothing works except a reboot. Once a connection is made it usually holds. That is until I put it away. It's as though it forgets the password or something. But only after it's been sleeping for a spell.

Any thoughts on a solution?

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This may not do it but worth a try. Disconnect your router/modem and reconnect after 30 seconds. Any good?
Andrew

From Oz using Tapatalk Pro

OP
zuluwhiskeyfox

zuluwhiskeyfox

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This may not do it but worth a try. Disconnect your router/modem and reconnect after 30 seconds. Any good? Andrew From Oz using Tapatalk Pro

Thank you, But that was tried to no avail.

OP
zuluwhiskeyfox

zuluwhiskeyfox

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try to reset network settings (Settings - General - Reset) and enter them again.

I have read several times in different places that that "Reset" is one to stay away from if your device is Jailbroken. Mine is.

Thanks anyway.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have read several times in different places that that "Reset" is one to stay away from if your device is Jailbroken. Mine is.

Thanks anyway.

No, you'll be fine. The reset option you want to stay away from is "Erase All Content and Settings." Doing a reset on the network settings ("Reset Network Settings") won't affect your jail break.

Now, it may not helped your issue - but know that it won't hurt anything to try.

Marilyn

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Forget the specific network under the Information button on the wifi screen. Reconnect by using OTHER and manually typing the wifi network name. This seems to be a better way to connect to wifi networks than simply picking one from the list.

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You can try this, it may work. Tell your router to save some IP addresses that are not dynamically controlled, set your iPad to use one of these IP addresses specifically on your home network and see if that works.

Remember to set the subnet on the iPad (most likely 255.255.255.0) on the same connection.

OP
zuluwhiskeyfox

zuluwhiskeyfox

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok. So yesterday I tried the "Reset Network Settings" as suggested. And so far it's been behaving. Keeping my fingers crossed.

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ok. So yesterday I tried the "Reset Network Settings" as suggested. And so far it's been behaving. Keeping my fingers crossed.

That's great that J. A.'s advice, above, worked for you. And good of you to come back on that as it may be a help to others with a connection problem.
Andrew

From Oz using Tapatalk Pro

OP
zuluwhiskeyfox

zuluwhiskeyfox

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A little more time has passed. It turned out that suggested fix was only part of the solution. A few days after my last post it started acting up again. So I tried that same fix but this time I went a little further. I have a bluetooth keyboard that I use with my iPad. So what you say. Well I turned it off. I turned the bluetooth on my iPad off. Then went about reseting my network as described earlier. I used the native keyboard that pops up on the screen to enter the password when prompted. That seems to have worked the best of all. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks for the follow up. Bluetooth should not interfere, but it's not impossible, especially if your device is really close to the router.

Good luck.

OP
zuluwhiskeyfox

zuluwhiskeyfox

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the follow up. Bluetooth should not interfere, but it's not impossible, especially if your device is really close to the router. Good luck.

I agree. Bluetooth should not have any effect. But I figured what do I have to lose? RF sometimes does some funny inexplicable stuff.

Most reactions

Latest posts