Why is there no Flash on the Ipad 3?

Discussion in 'iPad 3 Forum' started by ajcgn, May 8, 2012.

1. elija.wattson

elija.wattson
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    The first thing that confused us is the name. Instead of going with the name iPad 3 or iPad HD, Apple has gone back to the basics and is simply calling this the ‘iPad,’ or “The new iPad.” While this naming convention is sure to confuse and annoy us geeks and press people of the world who must write about “The new iPad” everyday, it shouldn’t mean much to you (unless you’re one of us!). It’s a third-generation iPad.

2. JasonKrick

JasonKrick
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I use my iPad 3...do t care what the name is...new iPad, 3rd gen etc. it is the third iPad...thus iPad 3...

Anyway, I use my iPad 3 as a camera a lot as I take it every where I go now. I never thought I would. If one thinks taking a picture with a tablet is 'embarrassing', try carrying a satchel (with no skittles in there) around all the time.

The iPad 3 5 megapixel camera is far superior in picture quality over my 8 megapixel android phone.

And yes, the improvement of the 2 to 3 camera is the most impressive improvement. More so, for me, than the retina display on the 3.

Btw. Naming the iPad 3 as the 'New iPad' is a stroke of genius. Every iPad release will be referred to as a 'New iPad'.

3. Seadog

Seadog
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Flash is not really required due to the low light quality of the camera, but for those situations that are too dark for that, why use the iPad? The iPad has limited use as a camera, but it can be very handy and will produce great photos for those times its needed.

4. AQ_OC

AQ_OC
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    The line between genius and insane is amazingly thin. :)

5. andrzejls

andrzejls
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Brilliant, Suggest that to Automotive industry.

6. jamby

jamby
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I use my iPad camera a lot in my work. The iPad wouldn't be nearly as functional for me without. Not having a camera would have been a big mistake. We all know that adding a functional flash should have been pretty simple. It would have made the iPad nearly perfect for me. I am betting it is going to happen. Just a ploy to get more people to plunk down more money for the next iPad.

7. StyleFra

StyleFra
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Well, it is not a phone, not a radio, not a tv, not a computer, not a notepad, not a bookshelf, not many other lots of things, but we use it to take pictures, make calls, whatch movies and listen to music, take noter etc...!
    The point is that it's odd to have a built-in app, or tool, that's called "photocamera" and not using it as such, or not considering it to be really meant to be a camera, just because the device itself it's not a camera! :D
    There are many humorous things or even ridiculous, that we can do with our iPad and its bizarre apps (for example the mirror app to adjust one's makeup!!), and the camera is not the funniest, in my opinion. Again, a mobile phone is not a camera, either, still it comes sometimes with an impressively good camera, with an incorporated flash. For these reasons it's quite simple to agree that what looks obvious for you, probably it is not for other people who have a wider sight on things.
    I agree that the no-flash decision made by Apple is more on a technical side of things: it may demand too much (battery? precision? physical room?) for how the ipad is conceived, and the price it can cost, compared to the previous editions, and other apple devices. So they greatly improved the camera and let it without a flash also in the ipad 3. A step forwards.
    Fra

8. rhardin

rhardin
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I couldn't help but laugh as I watched a women walk waist deep into a wave pool with her ipad using it to take pics... She got bumped and it slipped... Guess what they don't float either....

9. col.bris

col.bris
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Lol that is so funny maybe she needs a iFLOAT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk