What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why is there no Flash on the Ipad 3?

seneca18

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can only guess that Apple thought that while it does have a better camera now people will not be using the iPad as a camera very often or at all. Personally, I could live without any camera on the iPad except the front facing one for Skype and Facetime. But that's just me.

Wolfpuppies3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Um, because it is not a camera? Can you imagine how humorous it would be to walk about holding an iPad up to your face and taking flash pix? Too funny.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Most people claim they would not be caught dead using a tablet as a camera. I am not one of them, but my usage would be need based. I don't need to do it very often, it would seem.

petermillard

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Um, because it is not a camera? Can you imagine how humorous it would be to walk about holding an iPad up to your face and taking flash pix? Too funny.

Not to pick on you specifically, but a lot of the complaints about the camera(s) on the new iPad seem to revolve around how silly/funny/stupid/ridiculous people feel they would look whilst using it (which is funny, as when the iPad 2 was introduced all people complained about was the poor quality of the cameras, and how Apple really needed to improve them...)

I was a professional photographer for 20-odd years and spent most of that time hunched over a large-format camera with my head under a dark-cloth interpreting an image that was upside down and back-to-front; if I was worried about how I looked, I'd never have shot a single picture.

FWIW, in my experience the new iPad makes a great camera - the retina display is like holding a bright, perfectly-exposed, richly-coloured 10x8 transparency in front of you, and the size of the screen makes accurate composition easy. Would I use it as my only camera? Of course not - as you say, it's a tablet, not a camera - but you shouldn't let that stop you from using it as a camera if the need arises.

Cheers, Pete

6mildollarman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
An LED used for camera flash would be a nice to have option, but given the limited space in the iPad body, it wasn't that big of a necessity. I personally would never use the iPad as my typical photography device. I have my iPhone 4s and Nikon point n shoot for that.

However, the camera is an EXTREMELY useful function for my needs. I use it to scan documents, notes, and articles for future reference. Here are a couple of common scenarios for me. In my other profession, I'm a personal trainer. I'll use my iPad to snap a before pic of a new client, open it in a note taking app like notability and make comments directly on the photo (target body parts, past injuries, weight, BF%, etc) and store it in the client's file. If a colleague has a question on exercise form, I can easily snap a photo of the start and end of the movement and annotate the pic, circle areas to pay attention to and draw arrows to where correct position should be, and email it to said colleague. If I'm at a certification course, I can snap a pic of the instructor's notes on the chalkboard to use as a reference to my own notes.

The camera on the iPad has opened up a lot of productivity and convenience uses, and not just for conventional photo taking. I'm glad that the resolution has been improved from the iPad 2. I wouldn't mind having a flash, but I can live without it. Especially if it keeps the cost of the iPad down.

gresh14

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Cuz most likely are saving that for the iPad 4 lol

elija.wattson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not disappointed in the slightest.Actually, that's not true. I am disappointed they wasted any time and resource updating the rear-facing camera as it is almost entirely useless on a device of the iPad's form factor. Money would have been better spent upgrading the front-facing camera.Can you imagine how poor Facetime is going to look on a high resolution screen?

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Not disappointed in the slightest.Actually, that's not true. I am disappointed they wasted any time and resource updating the rear-facing camera as it is almost entirely useless on a device of the iPad's form factor. Money would have been better spent upgrading the front-facing camera.Can you imagine how poor Facetime is going to look on a high resolution screen?

Improving the rear facing camera was one of the most requested updates, so there were plenty of people who were not intimidated by the form factor and iPad as a camera.

elija.wattson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The first thing that confused us is the name. Instead of going with the name iPad 3 or iPad HD, Apple has gone back to the basics and is simply calling this the ‘iPad,’ or “The new iPad.” While this naming convention is sure to confuse and annoy us geeks and press people of the world who must write about “The new iPad” everyday, it shouldn’t mean much to you (unless you’re one of us!). It’s a third-generation iPad.

JasonKrick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use my iPad 3...do t care what the name is...new iPad, 3rd gen etc. it is the third iPad...thus iPad 3...

Anyway, I use my iPad 3 as a camera a lot as I take it every where I go now. I never thought I would. If one thinks taking a picture with a tablet is 'embarrassing', try carrying a satchel (with no skittles in there) around all the time.

The iPad 3 5 megapixel camera is far superior in picture quality over my 8 megapixel android phone.

And yes, the improvement of the 2 to 3 camera is the most impressive improvement. More so, for me, than the retina display on the 3.

Btw. Naming the iPad 3 as the 'New iPad' is a stroke of genius. Every iPad release will be referred to as a 'New iPad'.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Flash is not really required due to the low light quality of the camera, but for those situations that are too dark for that, why use the iPad? The iPad has limited use as a camera, but it can be very handy and will produce great photos for those times its needed.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The line between genius and insane is amazingly thin. :)

Most reactions

Latest posts