why does people dont interested in Verzion Ipad 2?

Discussion in 'iPad 2 Forum' started by kofjay, Mar 31, 2011.

1. kofjay

kofjay
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    hi guys, i went to apple store today to exchange my ipad 2 16gb for an 32 gb, unfortunately they don't have any 32 gb in stock. however they have a bunch of Verzion Ipad 2 in stock, and i dont see any lines ~ i am not interested in 3G but why does people choose ATT but not Verzion?

2. Fifi1992

Fifi1992
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Because AT&T is gsm. A lot of biz people need to access the Internet overseas u can

3. Tim SPRACKLEN

Tim SPRACKLEN
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Yes - as the previous poster said - Verizon uses the CDMA protocol which only works in the US - not even in Canada. AT&T iPads use GSM and they work in more-or-less every country in the world with the possible exception of Japan.

So, if you're ever going to take your iPad overseas - AT&T - if not, Verizon - or check the coverage in the area in which you live.

Have fun and enjoy your iPad....

Tim
    Scotland

4. greygoose

greygoose
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Also, ATT uses SIM card. Verizon is not. A lot more flexibility with SIM cards.

5. gmaines

gmaines
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    will wireless still work overseas?

6. DontUnderstandMyIpad

DontUnderstandMyIpad
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    The wireless on the iPad works with any wifi network, it is independent of the Verizon/AT&T incompatibility.

7. Tarkio

Tarkio
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    It depends on where you use your iPad. Where I live and work in Boston ATT's network is way too congested. My ATT iPad 1 was slow as molasses during weekdays so I went Verizon for the new one. It never slows down to a crawl like I had to live with for 10 months on ATT. This may not be an issue where you live.

8. Wolfpuppies3

Wolfpuppies3
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    My experience has been that

as reported in all the comparison studies, AT&T is twice faster than Verizon for data. Their telephone connections can be iffy but they are waaaaay faster with data.

9. dabears

dabears
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I was close to getting the iPad2 VZ as well. After doing extensived research and getting over my indeciveness between Att vs VZ data plan, I'm so glad I went with 3G Att version. First, I am already an exceptional ATT customer and second I want to have my iPad/iPhone in one bill. Asides from that, I saw the YouTube on Att vs VZ's speed data and Att's speed is way faster. I don't really care for the gsm thing since I don't go overseas. You are probably asking why I don't do hotspot with my iphone instead. Main reason is I want to protect from losing my unlimited data for my iPhone. And convenience is priceless to me. My first iPad was just a wifi and my experienced with wifi was just a mediocre experinced because it was wifi dependent whereas my 3G iPad now, I am more excited and motivated to take it along with me. Knowing that I can connect anywhere with it and not having to rely to go to a coffee shop and wifi places is the biggest part and more enjoyable iPad experience I ever had.

#9 dabears, Mar 31, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2011
  10. Tarkio

Tarkio
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    On paper maybe, but as I mentioned, it depends on where you use the iPad. Where I live ATT data was so slow with my iPad 1 that I gave up my unlimited plan to go with the Verizon version (turns out I'm actually saving money because I never use more than 1GB of data per month). The speed issue became clear to me when I bought my Verizon iPhone and found it almost twice as fast as my ATT iPad at home and at work. I probably should have made a comparison video to post on YouTube. :)

People should always try the different carriers where they live to see which is faster. It's all about network capacity and/or congestion, not test download specs.

#10 Tarkio, Mar 31, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2011