1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

USA iPad 2 AT&T

Discussion in 'UK iPad General Discussions' started by fatwallet, Jun 24, 2011.

1. fatwallet

fatwallet iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi, This my 1st post, I have a colleague at work who's son is nearly always in America with the Airforce and I've asked him to pick me up an iPad2 32/64 GB 3G/Wifi model. The little bit of research I've done, seems to says that I can put any UK micro sim into it and it will work fine? I understand that it can't be a Verzion iPad as they Verzion use a different 3G system to the UK.

Can any one please confirm if this is true?

Thanks in advance.

Fatwallet aka Adrian.
  2. Tim SPRACKLEN

Tim SPRACKLEN iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +120 / 0
    That's correct. The AT&T iPad will work fine on a UK microSIM. You'll see there's some discussion in this Forum as to whether the iPad needs to be initialised on the AT&T network first in the US before returning it to the UK. Some Members have found difficulty if the iPad was not first used in the US on AT&T while others have suggested that this is not necessary. There doesn't yet seem to be a definitive answer but, for sure, the iPad works just fine in the UK.

Tim
  3. thewitt

thewitt iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0
    I just received 4 more US iPads in Malaysia and just installed a local SIM. Nothing special required.

This makes 22 iPads configured without initializing with the AT&T SIM first.

-t
  4. Tim SPRACKLEN

Tim SPRACKLEN iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +120 / 0
    OK - thanks - I'll remove the caveat now about initialising in the US and assume that those Members who have had difficulties were experiencing a problem unrelated to this issue. Thanks.

Tim
  5. jaxx

jaxx iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    How to install local (Malaysia) SIM?

Hi t,
    Thanks. I will be traveling to Malaysia with my non US activated ATT IPAD2, and will need to use the 3G in Malaysia. What's your step-by-step to insatll local SIM? Would this work for IPAD2? Thanks much.
    J
  6. thewitt

thewitt iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0
    Push in the pin to eject the AT&T sim and replace it with a local SIM that's activated with a data plan.... Done.

-t