What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who's upgrading their router for iPad 4?

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So, what kind of service do you people have that are purchasing gigabit routers?
I assume you are all on fiber?
That's a lot of cash for a wireless router IMHO.

Inquiring minds would like to know..... :)

I own a gigabit router not because it downloads over the internet faster, but because of the "gigabit" part. My wired network runs at 1000 Gb/s (effectively 600-900 Mb/s). This allows me to stream bit-perfect blu-ray rips between my computers. I do have both a 2.4 and 5 GHz bands for wifi, which I do use in addition to have a guess network with an easy password. Note that the wireless devices can also stream content from the PC too.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My husband bought a Netgear n600 (wndr 3700) wireless dual band gigabit router early last year. We have had great connection for all devices including my iPhone 5 when using it. Very happy with it, but what was suppose to be a simply job...I managed to botch if up by misreading a few steps. All is good now! :)

I currently have this router and for me it works well. Of course, I've owned this for a while now, so I'm looking for the next.

OP
K

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's good to know. Our old router was a linkys and it didn't last very long at all. We tried to look into changing channels, etc...however that didn't work. I have noticed a little drop out, but always comes back. I tend to blame our ISP when that happens and not the router, because of historical issues.
BTW...your husband is a good man. Cooking dinner for you and setting up routers. You certainly have a keeper, Kaykaykay! :)

He's great. I lucked out, like picking a good melon, lol.

Our ISP has been reliable, and my laptop was able to connect even when iPad wouldn't. The annoying thing is, I use iPad more than laptop at home, of course.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
So I guess my question to both of AQoc and kaykaykay is that since my iPhone 5 with the A6 chip is running well with my current router...is that a good indicator that an iPad 4 would do the same with the A6x chip?

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
He's great. I lucked out, like picking a good melon, lol.

Our ISP has been reliable, and my laptop was able to connect even when iPad wouldn't. The annoying thing is, I use iPad more than laptop at home, of course.

Picking a good melon is always a good thing!! :)

buerkletucson

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I own a gigabit router not because it downloads over the internet faster, but because of the "gigabit" part. My wired network runs at 1000 Gb/s (effectively 600-900 Mb/s). This allows me to stream bit-perfect blu-ray rips between my computers. I do have both a 2.4 and 5 GHz bands for wifi, which I do use in addition to have a guess network with an easy password. Note that the wireless devices can also stream content from the PC too.

OK, Understood.........
So, you guys aren't necessarily purchasing gigabit routers because you have fiber (GigaBit) service to your house but because of network traffic within your own network.

I can't wait until we have the option of fiber service........jealous of those that do have it! :p

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So I guess my question to both of AQoc and kaykaykay is that since my iPhone 5 with the A6 chip is running well with my current router...is that a good indicator that an iPad 4 would do the same with the A6x chip?

It should work just fine....of course, iphone 5 and ipad 4 are different teams, and I have gotten the impression (on more than on occasion) before that they do things slightly differently concerning wifi and networks in general (my assumption is they would always work exactly the same). I'm thinking if you have any problems with iPad 4, it may having nothing to do with the router. After the update to iOS 6, my iPad detected my various email accounts just fine, but my 4S didn't (I could not get mail on my charter.net account). It took a while, and I think something was going on behind the scenes that got it working. Eventually it started working and I didn't nothing.

I'm sure apple didn't change too much on that chip that would ruin your wifi...if you have problems it may be of a temporary nature. The 3700 is still a good router, too. It is a good idea to keep the fireware up-to-date, though.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It should work just fine....of course, iphone 5 and ipad 4 are different teams, and I have gotten the impression (on more than on occasion) before that they do things slightly differently concerning wifi and networks in general (my assumption is they would always work exactly the same). I'm thinking if you have any problems with iPad 4, it may having nothing to do with the router. After the update to iOS 6, my iPad detected my various email accounts just fine, but my 4S didn't (I could not get mail on my charter.net account). It took a while, and I think something was going on behind the scenes that got it working. Eventually it started working and I didn't nothing.

I'm sure apple didn't change too much on that chip that would ruin your wifi...if you have problems it may be of a temporary nature. The 3700 is still a good router, too. It is a good idea to keep the fireware up-to-date, though.

Thank, AQoc--that's what I thought as well!

Most reactions

Latest posts