What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should i upgrade from ipad 3 to ipad 4?

kat82

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't have a 4, I have a 3. But all my blue progress bars load fully in less than 5 seconds. I tried several websites and the longest one was 6.1 secs for Facebook(Facebook for me, always takes the longest to load).
Most sites were less than 3.5 secs to load. Maybe I have a fast router? I dunno but I have never had slow load issues.
Actually, most of the time, if I mis tap, it's faster to let it load and push back button on my browser than to cancel and reload.

My router is at least 7 years old. I haven't upgraded it since it is working fine. My broadband is only 8MB but am considering to upgrade to fiber optic. The comparison is just to show how much faster iPad 4 relative to iPad 3. If you have a better broadband connection, you may not notice the difference. For me, iPad 4 is obviously much faster even without testing.

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Since iPad Fourms supports a great deal of graphics as well as JavaScript, benchmarking will always show that the iPad 4 will be faster. Especially if you have changed the default of 10 posts per page to say 20 or 40. The iPad 4's rendering of the graphics will be much faster than an iPad 3 no matter how you slice it. And since JavaScript relies on parsing and running code the iPad 4's CPU will also come in to play in helping the page finish loading faster.

Last edited:

I_luv_Apple

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ok it may be slightly faster but I think we are missing the point. The iPad 3 is fast too. We are talking milli seconds here. In my opinion there just isn't enough of an improvement to warrant spending additional money. Had I not purchased both my iPads 4 at no additional costs I wouldn't have got it. I'd have waited until the next model is released.

Nakedbabytoes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh yeah, I'm not saying that there shouldn't be a performance difference in the chipset, or else it is a complete rip off. I'm just saying that my 3 isn't nearly as slow as the PP's stated time for hers/his in comparison to the other devices(I do not have other devices to compare mine to, unless I go to my kid's iPod touch 2nd gen). So of the halves thing is true(twice as fast) CPU processor, then you're talking splitting my loads in half from 3.5 to 1.5. Fast yes, but necessary? Not for $829 to get my device one gen newer. That is a pricey 1.5 sec. But for the PP, less pricey at splitting 12 secs to 6!
I think if you have a good router, decent connection, and no throttling by your provider, you'll get the most out of any device. Heck, your old 1st gen might seem like a new device on a newer, faster router! So maybe the money is better spent on that upgrade?

buerkletucson

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Everything helps.........faster router, more bandwidth from provider, faster WiFi on iPad, etc.
But, your only as fast as your weakest link in the chain.

Nakedbabytoes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
buerkletucson said:
Everything helps.........faster router, more bandwidth from provider, faster WiFi on iPad, etc.
But, your only as fast as your weakest link in the chain.

True dat!

kat82

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To isolate the wifi issue, I tested on one of the most difficult-to-open game which I have on all my 3 iPads:

iPad 1 55.91 seconds
iPad 3 31.88 seconds
iPad 4 17.98 seconds

I closed off all other applications to make sure that there was no interruption.

S.Moreno

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I recommend you to do that. I switched to iPad 4 and its soo much better than its previous version :)

hd107a

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the iPad 3 and won't be upgrading. I think the 4 is what the 3 should have been when it was released. There wasn't much fanfare for the release of the 4 because it isn't much of an improvement over the 3. I will wait for the 5 and see what it has to offer, really want a USB port but won't hold my breath. Apple needs to do something drastic to get my attention.

I_luv_Apple

iPF Novice
Reaction score
hd107a said:
I have the iPad 3 and won't be upgrading. I think the 4 is what the 3 should have been when it was released. There wasn't much fanfare for the release of the 4 because it isn't much of an improvement over the 3. I will wait for the 5 and see what it has to offer, really want a USB port but won't hold my breath. Apple needs to do something drastic to get my attention.
Releasing an iPad video with Jony Ive naked would sure get my attention.... Ooops should have kept that to myself lol

Nakedbabytoes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
kat82 said:
To isolate the wifi issue, I tested on one of the most difficult-to-open game which I have on all my 3 iPads:

iPad 1 55.91 seconds
iPad 3 31.88 seconds
iPad 4 17.98 seconds

I closed off all other applications to make sure that there was no interruption.

My iPad just doesn't seem that slow. What game was this? I want to try it. The reason I timed my browser stuff was that the times posted just seemed so incredibly slow compared to what my experience on my own device was. So either I got used to slow or got lucky or a bit of both?
Anyways, what game was this?

kat82

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad just doesn't seem that slow. What game was this? I want to try it. The reason I timed my browser stuff was that the times posted just seemed so incredibly slow compared to what my experience on my own device was. So either I got used to slow or got lucky or a bit of both?
Anyways, what game was this?

Mystery Manor.

Nakedbabytoes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks!
I downloaded the game.

Mine took 18 secs to 22 secs(I opened it 5 times after closing the app each time via the system tray to be sure I wasn't cheating). So not too bad(in between your 3 & 4 posted times). Sometimes you don't realize how long things need to open. Credits and music have a funny way of making 18 secs feel like 5.

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks!
I downloaded the game.

Mine took 18 secs to 22 secs(I opened it 5 times after closing the app each time via the system tray to be sure I wasn't cheating). So not too bad(in between your 3 & 4 posted times). Sometimes you don't realize how long things need to open. Credits and music have a funny way of making 18 secs feel like 5.

Very well said.

I remember when the Commodore Amiga was introduced. It was the very first consumer computer system to use "Intros" in games to make the load time from floppies seem faster. They were able to pull it off because the CPU, graphics and sound were handled thru three independent chip sets with their own programmable subsystems. It would set the standard that is still used to this day.

fraggle42

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nakedbabytoes said:
Thanks!
I downloaded the game.

21 seconds on my iPad 2 (64GB 3G)

How come an old iPad 2 is 33% quicker than an iPad 3? And not far off the time of an iPad 4?

I'd like a retina display and more RAM (512MB is too small and the self closing app syndrome is annoying!)

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Most reactions