What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Definately noticing performance boost...

zerilos

iPF Noob
Reaction score
...by going from iPad 3 and 4. Not huge obviously but everything seems to be just a tad faster and smoother thus far. Can't wait for developers to make full use of the most efficient tablet OS and what is by a margin the best tablet chipset on the market. Sadly it might be a full year before we see any major releases that take full advantage of the 4's capabilities, but hey I was able to sell my 3 for $350 and purchase the 4 for less than $200 out of pocket. I can already tell that I will not regret this decision.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Any diff in wifi speed?

I'm still waiting on my 4G model.

buerkletucson

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I agree.......seems just plain snappier than the iPad 3.
Plenty of horse power to spare here (kind of like my avatar...crank 'er up and hang on). :D

I'm loving this thing big time. :thumbs:

Last edited:

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You’ll find in benchmarks galore that this iPad – surprise – beats the older iPad models by a significant margin regardless of the test. The GPU appears to be clocking at least 15% higher than the iPad 3′s greatest hits, while tests like GLBenchmark are showing 65% benchmark performance improvement in some cases – in other words: really, really good.

From this link:

iPad 4th gen GPU innards revealed - SlashGear

OP
Z

zerilos

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
Any diff in wifi speed?

I'm still waiting on my 4G model.

I'm not seeing a difference on the Speed Tests app, but it seems to load pages without delay. I don't have fast enough a wifi router to take advantage go the new antennas.

buerkletucson

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm not seeing a difference on the Speed Tests app, but it seems to load pages without delay. I don't have fast enough a wifi router to take advantage go the new antennas.

Looks like you need to spend some more money then. :D
The more you buy the more you save.............wait a minute, I've been watching to many infomercials! :eek:

OP
Z

zerilos

iPF Noob
Reaction score
buerkletucson said:
Looks like you need to spend some more money then. :D
The more you buy the more you save.............wait a minute, I've been watching to many infomercials! :eek:

Sadly I'm already thinking along those lines. :)

jwjohnson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've done several tests with an iPad 2 and an iPad 4. (both wifi only versions). When I initially was testing with Speed Test my results showed the iPad 2 to be faster - about 8MBs down and 8MBs up on average compared to 4MBs down 4MBs up on the iPad 4. Then I notice the two devices were testing through different ISP's. When I switched them to the same ISP the iPad 4 was getting about 7MBs down and 10MBs up.

I figured there are a lot of variables going over the internet like that so I set up both devices to sync to my iTunes by WiFI, then added a movie to the iPad being tested and compared how long the actual copying of that movie took during the sync process. I did four different movies to each device. The iPad 2 values are listed first (min:sec). 2:12/1:44, 6:20/5:49, 1:40/1:33, and 3:59/3:53.

My router is a linksys E4200 that is supposed to support channel bonding and supports 2.4 and 5GHz bands. When I forced either iPad to use the 5GHz band they were much slower and the signal was considerably weaker.

It looks to me like there is not much difference overall between the two so far. It may take some work by Apple on the firmware to realize any significant increase in throughput.

The other thing to consider is that the channel bonding/doubling requires your wifi environment to have the open space. I've got lot's of neighbors with wi-fi. I'm sure that limits the usefulness of this technology.

Last edited:

Most reactions