What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who Supplies the Displays of iPad-2 ?

augustya

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I am just curious to find out who supplies the displays for the iPad-2 ?

OP
A

augustya

iPF Novice
Reaction score
No idea. Do a google search. :)

Looks like LG is, was ? for iPad-2 and now Sharp is gonna take over !! Sharp also supplies the display panels for iPhone 4and 4S which has a Retina Display !

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
augustya said:
Looks like LG is, was ? for iPad-2 and now Sharp is gonna take over !! Sharp also supplies the display panels for iPhone 4and 4S which has a Retina Display !
If they go with retina display for the next iPad, it would indeed be nice but I would be shocked if they somehow maintained the same price point of the previous two incarnations. And that's outside of the very real possibility that a retina display will certainly add thickness and weight to the device by the very nature of its construction and power demand (requiring bigger batteries if they want to maintain the same run time as the previous models)..

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

OP
A

augustya

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If they go with retina display for the next iPad, it would indeed be nice but I would be shocked if they somehow maintained the same price point of the previous two incarnations. And that's outside of the very real possibility that a retina display will certainly add thickness and weight to the device by the very nature of its construction and power demand (requiring bigger batteries if they want to maintain the same run time as the previous models)..

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Ok looks like u r starting a different discussion here...Which is besides the point!

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
augustya said:
Ok looks like u r starting a different discussion here...Which is besides the point!

Oh. Sorry. I thought my observation was relevant because, outside of the discussion topic (about who the supplier would be), you brought up retina displays. Someone could construe your post as implying assumption that-because Sharp makes retina displays for the iPhone-the forthcoming iPad getting displays from the same manufacturer means it's also likely destined to get retina display. I wasn't arguing whether the iPad would get the display, as I think it will. I was merely giving my two cents' worth on what the ramifications of such might well likely be.

Please excuse me. I didn't mean to jack your thread.

Last edited:
OP
A

augustya

iPF Novice
Reaction score
OP, are you trying to speculate on iPad 3 based on iPad 2? It's easier to go straight to the iPad 3 speculation, if that's the case:

Apple Pulls Back on iPad 2 Display Orders as iPad 3 Production Begins to Ramp Up - Mac Rumors

Retina Display-Equipped iPad 3 to Launch in February? - Mac Rumors

The Reason I wanted to find out about who makes the displays currently for iPad-2 is because I personally think that even at the moment iPad-2 display is just fantastic and I am itching to buy a one for myself, But since we are just so little away from the Launch of iPad-3 I thought I might as well hold back for a while.

But what unnerves me is the news that Apple so constantly is changing it suppliers for screen displays It bothers me when I think all these does not make it any inferior product and that the new iPad-3 which I am sure gonna buy it, does not suffer any quality issues and is absolutely up to the mark if not better than the current iPad-2, atleast the same like the current iPad-2. I hope this constantly chopping and changing of Screen Display suppliers from LG TO SAMSUNG TO SHARP does not show anything negative on the product. So I was wishing if the same company who made the displays for iPad-2 which I think is just perfect minus the retina display, if the same guys were to make the screen displays for the iPad-3 that would be much better isn't it !

Last edited:

idave23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does anything about the quality of the iPad versions 1 and 2 suggest to you that Apple would put a crappy display on the 3?

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
idave23 said:
Does anything about the quality of the iPad versions 1 and 2 suggest to you that Apple would put a crappy display on the 3?

Really. As ti is, I'm quite happy with the screen on my iPad 2.

AdmiralAdama

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Near the Ionian Nebula, still searching for Earth
idave23 said:

Well, yes. The first production run for iPad 2 had serious light leakage issues involving an above average number of devices. I purchased my iPad 2 at the end of August and the first unit had major leakage. It was replaced with a unit with minor "acceptable" leakage I was told. It's almost gone now since the glue set but still, for $800 ???

AA

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
AdmiralAdama said:
Well, yes. The first production run for iPad 2 had serious light leakage issues involving an above average number of devices. I purchased my iPad 2 at the end of August and the first unit had major leakage. It was replaced with a unit with minor "acceptable" leakage I was told. It's almost gone now since the glue set but still, for $800 ???

AA

Oh, I thought the question was more about the display quality as opposed to the backlight issue. But, as a whole, I'd say you're right. For $830+, yeah, you'd expect better. I learned to live with it as it did settle down some, though t never completely went away. This replacement iPad I just got (smashed the screen on the first) has barely any leakage so I'm happy with it.

Most reactions

Latest posts