What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who Supplies the Displays of iPad-2 ?

OP
A

augustya

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well, yes. The first production run for iPad 2 had serious light leakage issues involving an above average number of devices. I purchased my iPad 2 at the end of August and the first unit had major leakage. It was replaced with a unit with minor "acceptable" leakage I was told. It's almost gone now since the glue set but still, for $800 ???

AA

So you see, exactly, Apple had quality issues with incidents of light leakage with some units supplied by then their main supplier for screen displays which was LG so then they started looking out for alternatives. Samsung could have been another option but then they both got in a fight with a law suit as Samsung is Apple's primary competitor in the Tablet and phone market. So now it is mainly between LG and Sharp who are gonna do the job of supplying screen displays for the iPad-3. Sharp already is doing the job by supplying the display panels for iPhone 4 and 4S.

OP
A

augustya

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The other thing I strongly feel and this is from experience of using the iPad-2 briefly that I am saying and that is, the LED Lit backlight display is the real game changer of the amazing display of all iPad’s so far. I wonder with this new technology called IGZO from Sharp if they are completely gonna do away with the LED Lit display, that would in my opinion completely remove the juice out of it. Yeah, in place of the Dual LED backlight bar display which Apple was thinking to put in its iPad-3 to support a higher resolution instead of that if they have IGZO which supports a 330 PPI and also a single LED Lit display as in case of all the iPad’s so far that would be the way to go instead of completely getting away with the LED lit screen. The LED Lit screen is what makes it look more brighter and fantastcic atleast in iPad-2. Imagine how would the screen display of the iPad-2 look without a LET LIT BACKLIGHT DISPLAY SCREEN?? :eek:

AppleInsider | Sharp rumored to provide IGZO displays for Apple's next iPhone, iPad

Most reactions

Latest posts