What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which iPad should I buy?

msherman03

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok... I was on att.com today and noticed they have a closeout special for iPad 1's wifi + 3g 64gb for $479. They are brand new, not refurbs. I was planning on getting an iPad 2 wifi/3g 32gb which retails for $729. So, my question is, does it make more sense to purchase a new iPad 1 at such a deep discount plus the extra storage space, or is the iPad 2 really worth that much more?

Sonicrobby

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Unless you REALLY NEED the cameras, I'd say go with the original iPad. I honestly think its a MUCH better deal. Tho if you are a person who likes to have the latest gadgets, you could pay the extra 300$ for the newer model, but in the spring the iPad 3 is speculated to be released...

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Such a hard decision to make!! It really does come to what you feel will fit your needs the best. If you do a lot of Skype, you may want to consider the upgrade to Ipad2. I have also read from some readers owning the the first generation having user issues after doing the update. Good luck, whichever you decide-you will love!!

OP
M

msherman03

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Such a hard decision to make!! It really does come to what you feel will fit your needs the best. If you do a lot of Skype, you may want to consider the upgrade to Ipad2. I have also read from some readers owning the the first generation having user issues after doing the update. Good luck, whichever you decide-you will love!!

Regarding the update, I'm assuming you're referring to the upgrade to iOS5 on the original iPad?

OP
M

msherman03

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Unless you REALLY NEED the cameras, I'd say go with the original iPad. I honestly think its a MUCH better deal. Tho if you are a person who likes to have the latest gadgets, you could pay the extra 300$ for the newer model, but in the spring the iPad 3 is speculated to be released...

That's kind of the line of thinking I was going down. Plus it makes for an easier pill to swallow whenever the 3 comes out. Cameras are a non issue for me. The big thing for me is speed and I know the iPad 2 has a faster processor with the A5. That's the one thing that would sway me to the 2. Any thoughts on 1 vs. 2 speed wise?

Harley man

iPF Noob
Reaction score
msherman03 said:
That's kind of the line of thinking I was going down. Plus it makes for an easier pill to swallow whenever the 3 comes out. Cameras are a non issue for me. The big thing for me is speed and I know the iPad 2 has a faster processor with the A5. That's the one thing that would sway me to the 2. Any thoughts on 1 vs. 2 speed wise?

if you are going to play games then then the iPad 2 is the to go with the A5 chip

from USA bucks county pa Sent from my iPad using iPF

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Get an iPad 2 because of the faster chip and so you can get firmware updates longer. iPad 1 has already missed out on multi-gestures with this update, for instance. The longer you can get firmware updates, the better your resale value, too.

I say that as someone with an iPad 1 and 2, both of which I like. I wouldn't buy an iPad 1 now, though. iPad 3 probably will be out in spring.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
msherman03 said:

The 2 has more RAM which is a big upgrade, IMO. To me, if you already own an iPad 1 then there is no reason to upgrade but if you don't own an iPad at all, then the latest and greatest makes the most sense. So, I'd say get the 2.

OP
M

msherman03

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks guys for all of the input! Once I get my hands on my new iPad I look forward to learning more about it and contributing to the forum!

Most reactions

Latest posts