What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which iPad Should I Buy?

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Another option. More expensive but with added benefits.

() You'll probably find that 32 Gig is the "sweet spot" in terms of storage. If you read this and other boards you'll find that relatively few people who choose 32G iPads wish they had more storage compared to those who have 16 Gig models. Many people get along just fine with 16 Gig models, but it does require more "management" as you add apps and other content.

() I have a wifi only iPad and use it along with a 4G/LTE mobile hotspot from Verizon. This combo saves $130 in terms of purchase price. In addition, it provides 4G connectivity in areas covered by the new 4G Verizon network. Anywhere from 7-10 times faster internet access than 3G. AT&T has much less coverage for their 4G/LTE network currently but that won't be the case in another 6-20 months. And you'll never be able to use a 3G iPad on a 4G network. However, I pay $50 per month on a two year contract for 5 gigabytes of downloads per month. I travel frequently and use the mobile hotspot for my laptop as well as my iPad so it's worth it in my case. IMO, data plans of less than 2 Gig per month aren't very useful unless you use the access rarely and for only a limited time for web browsing and email. So for the sake of comparison you may want to figure you're going to spend $30 a month for any 30 day period in which you use cell access to the internet.

() If you elect to go the wifi only route and need GPS, the best alternative I've found is a bluetooth GPS receiver designed for the iPad. They sell for about $90 on Amazon. They're about the size of a watch face and provide much more sensitive GPS accuracy than the 3G iPad. And because the GPS receiver is separate from the iPad, it can be mounted on an auto dash, for example, to improve reception.

I don't mention these alternatives because they're "better." They are for me (and for anyone who wants/needs 4G "future proofing.") But they're not for everyone. If you travel only occasionally (less than once a month) the "no-contract" option for the 3G iPad may be a better choice.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, expert advice needed. What's a MyFi Mobile hotspot? :eek:
KatieBug

See my post above. Take a look on the Verizon or AT&T websites for 'mobile hotspots.' I use the Samsung from Verizon. It's the size of a playing card and weighs about 3 oz.

To answer your question about cost, yes, it's more expensive. Typically, you have to purchase a full one or two year contract and cannot stop/start the service on a monthly basis as you can with a data plan tied directly to your iPad. However, you get a better rate (per gig) and can attach multiple devices simultaneously.

And if you want 4G speeds, another option is to select one of the new 4G phones and tether the iPad to the phone when you need access. Amazon, for example, is selling the new RAZR 4G smartphone for $.01 on a two year contract for new users this week. It's "tetherable" (at a $20 per month charge) and you can use the phone as a mobile hotspot.

Last edited:

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A few suggestions if you're not familiar with mobile hotspots and tethering, OP:

Mobile hotspots and tethering require that your devices be in range. So if you share an iPad and other devices with someone else, you must stay within range to use the connection.

Phone battery life is especially important if you tether. You don't want to tether to a phone with cruddy battery life to start with, which means you'd tap out even faster.

Compare the battery life of mobile hotspot devices if you go that way. Your iPad might have 10 hours of juice, but if your mobile hotspot device has five hours, you'll need to keep that in mind.

Most reactions

Latest posts