What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where's the ARROW keys????

Ripplinghurst

iPF Noob
Reaction score
:confused::mad:

Anybody having trouble editing text without the arrow keys?

What's the work around for that?

Have you guys tried to edit a long post on this or any other forum, for instance, and you fell hopeless with the iPad virtual keyboard? Sometimes it's impossible to get exactly where you want to?

WTF?

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not really. Long press and a little magnifying glass will come up and allow you to position the cursor. An arrow key would be nice but that works pretty well.

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
At first, yes, but you get better at it (cursor placement) with practice. It is very frustrating at first, though. One hint is to pause over where you're going. Leave your finger in place until the magnifying glass appears, then drag the cursor into position letter by letter. The iPad bumps the cursor to the front or back of the word when you tap - only the magnifying glass can put you in the middle of a word. Practicing pausing, double taps, and single taps. Especially try pausing over all the keyboard characters, as most have multiple uses. The E key actually gives you ë, é, e, è, ê, ē, ę, and ė, for example.

Teacher's Pet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When you're making a long post on here you can use two fingers to scroll inside the post, I didn't know that until someone told me but I'm a little slow.

I need some arrow keys, I delete way more than I should just to insert a letter or something

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are lots of solutions, if you read the manual, or do a little experimenting.

OP
R

Ripplinghurst

iPF Noob
Reaction score
At first, yes, but you get better at it (cursor placement) with practice. It is very frustrating at first, though. One hint is to pause over where you're going. Leave your finger in place until the magnifying glass appears, then drag the cursor into position letter by letter. The iPad bumps the cursor to the front or back of the word when you tap - only the magnifying glass can put you in the middle of a word. Practicing pausing, double taps, and single taps. Especially try pausing over all the keyboard characters, as most have multiple uses. The E key actually gives you ë, é, e, è, ê, ē, ę, and ė, for example.

Thank you, that was very useful info.

I got it work, but I definitely need more practice. Bugger, why not arrow keys, maybe together with the special symbols at least?

And thank you all who posted on this thread.:)

AbblePC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just a side note on word or letter specific selecting.

Obviously one tap and hold you get the magnifying glass, but another quick selection or editing tool is to double tap then long hold. Once you get the right combo you will notice instead of a round magnifying glass, you get a rectangular magnified text box that you can then drag for more specific word groups or sentences for copying pasting or replacing.

stever

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When you're making a long post on here you can use two fingers to scroll inside the post, I didn't know that until someone told me but I'm a little slow.
I need some arrow keys, I delete way more than I should just to insert a letter or something
One solution, is KB dock, or Bluetooth Keyboard.

The iPad does recognize the arrow keys on those.
I am hoping to eventually see arrows added to the onscreen KB.

Stefx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are lots of solutions, if you read the manual, or do a little experimenting.

Useless post above.

Thanks for the other posters who provided solutions. The magnifying glass solution is a great alternative to arrows.

andsoitgoes

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm still endlessly frustrated by the magnifying glass. Maybe I need to practice using it a bit more, or I make way too many errors, but I'm just so used to arrow navigation, and since it's so tough to make precise movements and the magnifying glass is so bloody slow to activate and, heaven forbid you screw up the position and have to start again, I just want my arrow keys!

That was one heck of a run-on! Oy!

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yeah, the magnifier works, but its slow and tedious for me. I have yet to find a way to select specific text over remote desktop on another machine. That one really bugs me because you get no magnifier on the remote machine.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Useless post above.

Thanks for the other posters who provided solutions. The magnifying glass solution is a great alternative to arrows.

And yet, the same questions get asked repetively because people do not read the manual. I do not mind helping people learn more, but it does get silly how often the simple questions get the most repeats.

HistoryWes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't have much problem... most of the time. There are certain web pages though where you have to curser up or down to edit. You can't do it with your finger. It just sucks that there is no solution in those cases.

Most reactions

Latest posts