What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where's the ARROW keys????

Arnz98

iPF Noob
Reaction score
(in my best Rodney King impression) " Can't we all just get along?" :)

Stefx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't have much problem... most of the time. There are certain web pages though where you have to curser up or down to edit. You can't do it with your finger. It just sucks that there is no solution in those cases.

if you trigger the manifying glass and drag it to the bottom or top edge, it will scroll the window.

DaveP

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This was my only issue since I received my iPad. Thank you all for pointing this out. It has stopped me from telling my iPad, "No, not there. Here... NOOOO. NOT THERE!!!" Big help in not looking too crazy.

david20

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Arrow keys?

Very frustrating that the arrow keys are missing on the ipad keyboard. It makes no sense why apple decided not to have the arrow keys. I know about the magnifying glass and it works but the arrow keys are a must. I bought the wireless keyboard thinking the reason the arrow keys were missing on the ipad was so we can spend more money on the keyboard. Well, the arrow keys on the wireless keyboard do not work!

muyoso

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is it impossible to replace the keyboard with a different one? Other apps do it all the time. Doesn't seem like it would be that hard to take a custom keyboard and replace the core Apple files on the device. Anyone have a solution?

Snakebit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.millionair.com
The magnifying glass is a piece of cake with a stylus. I bought a boxwave stylus just to see if it was useful. Took a while to get used to but I am fast with it now and the added benefit of no fingerprints is cool too.

As for virtual keyboards, the fellas that wrote Itap RDP did a wicked job on the keyboard. It is SO much better than the default keyboard and I really miss all the functionality when not in Itap. And yes it has the arrow keys. And much more.

But again, with the stylus, the magnifying glass is easy to master.;)

bklapholz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Some apps have the arrow keys available

Some apps (e.g. Wyse PocketCloud to name one) have arrow keys as well as other missing but useful and important keys including option/alt, fn, control, f1-f12, apple/command, and a few others.

While I can appreciate Apple's end-state vision where the multi-touch gestures work work flawlessly or good enough that not having a couple of arrow keys doesn't impede your work, that is obviously not the current case.

What the hell is the the big deal to just add them in like Wyse has done so nicely for enhancing the overall usability at the least. It obviously is possible and not altogether a major development affair and makes a huge difference. (Same applies for iPhone too in my opinion).

Maybe someone can hack something out for the community since Apple is still a little too proud of their whole touchscreen technology.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Johnny Ives has stated that they often put more effort into what they leave out than what they include.

I'm certain they looked closely at including arrow keys and decided against them.

Life is about learning to live with restrictions, both individual and environmental .....
Enjoy your iPad for what it can do.

Philippe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not really. Long press and a little magnifying glass will come up and allow you to position the cursor. An arrow key would be nice but that works pretty well.

Seriously!?

*goes to check this feature on his iPad*

Oh my god... OH MY GOD. Thank you, a hundred times thank you. A thousand internets to you my friend, THANK YOU.

Christ and all I was going stir-crazy because I was convinced you couldn't place the type line (technical term for it is the "insertion line" I believe) in the middle of a word. I thought that every time you wanted to correct or edit a word you had to erase everything up to the point you wanted to change.

Thank you again for pointing out this magnifying glass feature.

muyoso

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Life is about learning to live with restrictions, both individual and environmental .....
Enjoy your iPad for what it can do.

Wow, Apple really does brainwash people. I would shudder to think what a world that lived by that principle would look like.

cmalinowski

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not really. Long press and a little magnifying glass will come up and allow you to position the cursor. An arrow key would be nice but that works pretty well.

Seriously!?

*goes to check this feature on his iPad*

Oh my god... OH MY GOD. Thank you, a hundred times thank you. A thousand internets to you my friend, THANK YOU.

Christ and all I was going stir-crazy because I was convinced you couldn't place the type line (technical term for it is the "insertion line" I believe) in the middle of a word. I thought that every time you wanted to correct or edit a word you had to erase everything up to the point you wanted to change.

Thank you again for pointing out this magnifying glass feature.
You may want to download and read the iPad Users Guide in iBooks. Just go into iBooks and search for iPad. Should come up. There are probably other things that it will enlighten you on as well. I am not done flipping through it, but I will probably read through the whole thing over time.

Chris

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There's a little app called Arrow Keys Mail. It cleverly adds an other row of keys on top of the rest that contains sideways arrow keys, an apostrophe, quote marks etc.
Unfortunately it seems to only work in their text editor in preparation to send mail.

avspatti

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought the Pogo Sketch stylus at the Apple store just to see what it could do, and I use it whenever I get tired of having to position my fingers just so. Works fine in the lack of arrow key situation. (I do NOT have fat fingers.) LOL

Most reactions

Latest posts