What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where do old apps go?

osborneuk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i had a great app for kids called 'the journey HD' but is no longer available in the appstore. Any idea where i can get it from. TYIA
Mike

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
i had a great app for kids called 'the journey HD' but is no longer available in the appstore. Any idea where i can get it from. TYIA
Mike
The only official and legal place to get apps for your iPad or other iOS device is the App Store. Once an app has been removed from the App Store, you can no longer download it. If you previously purchased it, it could still be in your purchase history where it can be re-downloaded.

Many apps I've enjoyed over the years are no longer available in the App Store or my purchase history. This is why I keep a complete copy of my entire iTunes library on an external hard drive.

OP
O

osborneuk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Bummer - the kids really enjoyed it and its not in the appstore and has vanished from my purchases

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Bummer - the kids really enjoyed it and its not in the appstore and has vanished from my purchases

Apple will remove apps from the iDevice App Store for a variety of reasons, including the app no longer being supported by iOS updates/upgrades, numerous complaints about an app, or the App's developer not willing to accept Apple's financial contracts - there are likely other reasons.

But just curious why you no longer have the game? Did you upgrade to a new iPad and/or to a new iOS that would not run the app? Did you have an iTunes or iCloud upgrade where the app may have been saved? Others may be interested in your responses who may be in a similar situation. Dave :)

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Have you checked out the apps section in iTunes on your computer? If you ever synced a device to iTunes on your computer that had that app on it it may be there and if so, could be synced to any of your devices.

OP
O

osborneuk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Did a check on iTunes. View/apps. Not there but neither sre several others on my ipad. Curiously the Journey HD app is on my wife's ipad which did a sync yesterday so i would have expected the app to be there.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Did a check on iTunes. View/apps. Not there but neither sre several others on my ipad. Curiously the Journey HD app is on my wife's ipad which did a sync yesterday so i would have expected the app to be there.
Nowadays you have to manually transfer purchases to get the apps into the iTunes library on your computer, where they can be synced to your devices.

OP
O

osborneuk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So i connect my wife's ipad, transfer purchases, then synch my ipad to include this app. Have i got that right?
Thanks for your advice.:)

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
So i connect my wife's ipad, transfer purchases, then synch my ipad to include this app. Have i got that right?
Thanks for your advice.:)
As long as you're both using the same Apple ID it should work.

OP
O

osborneuk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
curiouser and curiouser..... I have several apps on my ipad that are NOT in my itunes. even "File:Devices:Transfer purchases" doesn't move them to itunes. I have authorised the computer. any thoughts?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Do you have the latest version of iTunes installed? When you sync your iPad do you get the pop up about items on your iPad that are not in your iTunes library and asking if you'd
Iike to transfer purchases?

Most reactions

Latest posts