What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Whats your charging routine?

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
beavery said:
I received the iPad about 36 hours ago, and this is the first time I have charged it so I haven't got a routine yet :)

However I am concerned that when plugged into a normal USB, things that my iPhone charges with, computer, wii, etc. the iPad comes up with a 'not charging' tag.

Is this normal?

Don't worry, it's not supposed to. You can't draw 10 watts from a USB port without frying your motherboard. There are adaptors around that will allow you to do this, but the charger is best. A tip when charging: use aircraft mode. This turns off wifi and Bluetooth, and decreases charging times. :)

Sent from my iPad using iPF

beavery

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Vintage90 said:
Don't worry, it's not supposed to. You can't draw 10 watts from a USB port without frying your motherboard. There are adaptors around that will allow you to do this, but the charger is best. A tip when charging: use aircraft mode. This turns off wifi and Bluetooth, and decreases charging times. :)

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Ah ok thanks :)
Didn't realize about the aircraft mode decreasing charge time. Although it would mean giving up time on here :p

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
beavery said:
Didn't realize about the aircraft mode decreasing charge time. Although it would mean giving up time on here :p

Your iPad is charging from your USB albeit very slowly, so you don't need to use aircraft mode unless you are trying to charge quickly from a USB. I plug mine into my laptops USB socket at work every day just to trickle charge during the working day.

The Archangel

miket5au

iPF Novice
Reaction score
beavery said:

Your iPad is charging from your USB albeit very slowly, so you don't need to use aircraft mode unless you are trying to charge quickly from a USB. I plug mine into my laptops USB socket at work every day just to trickle charge during the working day.

My iPad charges about 75% in 8 hours overnight when connected to my computer.

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I charge mine every night. Is that bad for the battery? I know I've seen it mentioned that you should run down the battery all the way and charge it fully once a month and I make sure to do that, but should I charge it every night?

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Battery Life

I charge mine every night. Is that bad for the battery? I know I've seen it mentioned that you should run down the battery all the way and charge it fully once a month and I make sure to do that, but should I charge it every night?

It's a good idea to run it down, charging every night is fine if it's flat. I try to leave it until it get's around 20% then leave overnight. (trouble is night time is often work time) There is a complete breakdown on the Apple site about Lithium / Polymer batteries @
Apple - Batteries - iPad

Geeks guide! :)

iPF Noob
Reaction score
vintage90 said:
it's a good idea to run it down, charging every night is fine if it's flat. I try to leave it until it get's around 20% then leave overnight. (trouble is night time is often work time) there is a complete breakdown on the apple site about lithium / polymer batteries @
apple - batteries - ipad

geeks guide! :)

Thank you! :)

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Seriously? Life must be rough.:D

:D Can't complain. If I had to, I could borrow my husband's iPad, which he uses only while cooking, but his doesn't have 3G.

Oh...you steal your husband's! Good idea!

I would, except mine both have 3G, lol. I bought his wi-fi iPad 1 on clearance. 200 bucks off at Verizon. Great deal.

I like the Griffin PowerBlock wall wart for charging, because it charges fast. It still takes about two hours to get from dead iPad to 80 percent charged, though.

PxDx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Isn't is bad for battery's life to keep it in charging overnight even though it might reach 100% mark in the middle of night?

OP
graywolf

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
PxDx said:
Isn't is bad for battery's life to keep it in charging overnight even though it might reach 100% mark in the middle of night?

If I understand your question, you want to know if leaving it plugged in all night will be bad for it. Well no. At 100%, the iPad will shut off full throttle charging, and trickle charge the battery to keep it at 100%. This is not damaging to the battery at all.

PxDx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
PxDx said:

If I understand your question, you want to know if leaving it plugged in all night will be bad for it. Well no. At 100%, the iPad will shut off full throttle charging, and trickle charge the battery to keep it at 100%. This is not damaging to the battery at all.

Thanks.. That's what I wanted to know..

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
my wall adaptor does heat up somewhat when ipad is charging. of course, when i pad isn't charging and not connected (but still plugged into the wall), it's stone cold.

I'm presuming this heating up is normal and ok?

Most reactions

Latest posts