What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is it?

OP
scifan57

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Think Kodachrome.

image-4167007988.jpg

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The Kodak Ektra, 1941 t0 1948.

Kodak's first and last attempt to create a premium 35mm camera in the U.S. It was better in many ways than the competing cameras of it's time, offering innovative features. Unfortunately it had a very unreliable shutter mechanism.

A pretty cool camera.

I actually concentrated on Kodak cameras at first, but for some reason I either did not turn up the Ektra in my search results, or my eyes kept skipping over it. Probably the second, because the search string that turned it up wasn't all the different than all the others. Anyway I drifted off and wasted my time on more exotic brands and search strings until your last clue brought me back to Kodak.

I'm stepping out for about an hour. If I'm right anyone else who wants to step in feel free. Otherwise I'll post a challenge when I get back. I've a pronounced lack of interesting things laying around, so I'm visiting my storage space for a bit.

Last edited:
OP
scifan57

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Correct,twerppoet.
Unlike 90% of the Kodak Ektras out there,mine still works.
This camera was one of the few 35mm cameras ever manufactured that had interchangeable film magazines.
Here are some more photos.

image-1801664262.jpg

image-2889058570.jpg

image-199122515.jpg

image-2597957359.jpgYour turn with the next challenge.

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well unlucky for me, but maybe not for you, I took the wrong keys with me; so there will be no random junk from my storage unit. Instead I dug through my photos and with a little creative cropping I ask:

What is this?

DSC00294.jpg

Bonus points if you can tell me what the little black and yellow devices are.

OP
scifan57

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
As a person who spent 10 years in the navy,I can tell you that it is a 20 person inflatable life raft.It could be launched manually or by hydrostatic release when the water pressure reached a certain point.

Last edited:
OP
scifan57

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
What are the black and yellow devices,we didn't have them when I was in the navy?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
What are the black and yellow devices,we didn't have them when I was in the navy?

Those are the hydrostatic releases you mentioned. They release the raft from the ship at 10 to 15 ft. if I remember right. There is also a manual release (not shown) just in case you want off the ship before it's under water. ;)

Yours were probably a different design. This particular unit is on a ferry at Seattle. The ones on most Coast Guard ships are more box shaped.

OP
scifan57

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
Those are the hydrostatic releases you mentioned. They release the raft from the ship at 10 to 15 ft. if I remember right. There is also a manual release (not shown) just in case you want off the ship before it's under water. ;)

Yours were probably a different design. This particular unit is on a ferry at Seattle. The ones on most Coast Guard ships are more box shaped.

The hydrostatic releases we had were larger and made of metal.

OP
scifan57

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
What are we looking at?Where was this type used?When were they in use?

image-551403982.jpg

image-1119888661.jpg

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
These appear to be Kreigsmarine U-Boat binoculars, used on U-Boats, and probably for most of WWII.

There seem to be a few variations, maybe different models/manufacureres through the war, but his pair is probably the 7x50 fixed focus by Carl Zeiss.

OP
scifan57

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
These appear to be Kreigsmarine U-Boat binoculars, used on U-Boats, and probably for most of WWII.

There seem to be a few variations, maybe different models/manufacureres through the war, but his pair is probably the 7x50 fixed focus by Carl Zeiss.

Congratulations,twerppoet.Absolutely correct.
Unlike most of the so- called U-Boat binoculars,these were only issued to U-Boats.
Here are some more photos.

image-3929919515.jpg

image-938024992.jpgThey're probably the toughest 7x50 binoculars ever made.No expense was spared in their design and construction.
You turn now.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts