What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is it?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Carl Zeiss Jena 12x60 binoculars, used on top of a German 4m stereoscopic rangefinder.

I never did find a nice site with comprehensive info, just bits and pieces from people who have them for sale.

OP
scifan57

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
Carl Zeiss Jena 12x60 binoculars, used on top of a German 4m stereoscopic rangefinder.

I never did find a nice site with comprehensive info, just bits and pieces from people who have them for sale.

Correct,twerppoet.
Was it the data plate on the binoculars which gave you the clue needed for solving the challenge?

image-1466351091.jpgHere's a photo of the entire instrument.

Your challenge awaits.

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Correct,twerppoet.
Was it the data plate on the binoculars which gave you the clue needed for solving the challenge?

Partly. I couldn't read anything but the blc clearly. Binocular and blc turned up Carl Zeiss eventually and things started to come together then.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Ok, what does this do? That's all I'm going to ask because I have no idea what the model number, year, or anything else is; except horse power was obviously still common.

IMG_5856.jpg

That's the problem with my pictures. I've got some interesting ones, but I never tried to write down the important info to go with them.

OP
scifan57

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's a horse powered corn grinder.One horse power,of course.:)

Last edited:
OP
scifan57

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
Very good. I suppose the sign helped. ;)

Your turn again. I'm off to bed soon, so I hope someone else jumps in.

I could tell it was a grinder of some kind.The sign told me what went into the grinder.

OP
scifan57

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ok,here's the next challenge.
What,exactly,is it?Who made it?
It's an optical device.

image-1354069971.jpg

Last edited:

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The rules are brief enough and clear,Scifan. Let's hope participants are trustworthy. The thread appears to have been well received. I will take part,hopefully.

At least the thread is in my threads visited folder, and I don't need to activate your link :)
The idea here is for people to identify an object or objects based on photos and clues supplied by the challenger.The photos can be of almost anything,but must be taken by the person posting the challenge.No photos found on the Internet are allowed.
You can use any resources you choose to discover the answer,but no cutting and pasting or copying from online resources such as Wikipedia is allowed.You are free to use online sources as the basis for writing your own description of the answer.
The photographs do not have to be of an entire object.You can supply a photo of part of an object if you like.
The purpose of the game is to identify the object in the challenge,with as much extra detail as required by the challenger.

The first person to correctly solve the current challenge gets to post the next challenge.

Here is one to start it off.
What is this?Who designed it?Who was it made by?When was it introduced?

View attachment 16537

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I already figured out they were small, based on the eyepieces being wider than the lenses; but still not having any luck. Even tried opera glasses with no luck (the wide eyepieces are more common there).

Out of curiosity, can you find a web image of them with no more info than provided in the pictures (deduced or not)? Just want to know I've got a chance. ;)

OP
scifan57

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I just tried a search based on what can be seen and deduced and found an auction for the same model of binoculars on the second page of the search results.

Most reactions

Latest posts