1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

What does the outside world know about my device?

Discussion in 'iPad Hacking' started by crouch, Sep 27, 2011.

1. crouch

crouch iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm new to the jailbreaking community with my iPad 2 and iPhone 4 both recently jailbroken.

I'm curious on how the outside world views my jailbroken devices. I noticed the Optimum App doesn't work anymore because my iPad is jailbroken - does that mean that any outside company for which I attempt a download can determine my iPad is jailbroken? Can they also determine my name or Apple ID somehow, or is it just a blind analysis of my operating system that somehow shows Cydia is installed?

Is it fair to assume that Apple knows my devices are jailbroken? I know it's legal, but perhaps they would be less helpful if it comes to service issues, etc.

Likewise, if I delete an app and then re-download it, how does the developer know that I previously had it installed? For example, I downloaded the New York Post app awhile ago, then deleted it within a few days. When I redownloaded it recently, it told me my free 30-day subscription was over. Is there any way to completely clear out my iPad's cache or whatever so that an app can be cleanly re-installed with no trace of the former app? I'm curious from a technical standpoint what an outside company sees of my device when I download one of their apps and how they know what I've had on the device in the past.