What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What does "READER" mean when it appears on the URL bar of Safari?

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
On some web pages that I view, there is a box in the URL bar to the right of the URL text. It says 'Reader". When I click on this box, the web page opens in some other sort of viewer. There's no name to the viewer. It has no title bar.

What 'Reader" is opening? I don't really want this option. How can I turn it off.. (I don't see anything in Safari Settings).. Click on the little strip of an image below to see what I'm talking about.. There's a little red arrow pointing to the 'Reader' box.......

photo.jpg

Layth

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As far as I know, there's no way of disabling "Reader" however, its purpose is to bring the content of the site you're viewing without any ads and with unified pagination and formatting. Basically, it's Instapaper-lite.

goofy8275

iPF Novice
Reaction score
As far as I know, there's no way of disabling "Reader" however, its purpose is to bring the content of the site you're viewing without any ads and with unified pagination and formatting. Basically, it's Instapaper-lite.
You hit the it right in the bullseye! This explanation is perfect!

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I still prefer Istapaper as one of it's options is to save to Evernote.
A brilliant combination in practise.

Save, review, store.

OP
jwt873

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
OK.. Thanks for the explanation. I have one more question..... Why do only certain web pages show this 'reader' thing? (Very few web pages do). What triggers the box to appear?

carioca10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But on the Iphone Safari's READER I have several options not just changing font size.

I wish I could have the option of sending content and link of the page via email as I have on my Iphone's Safari READER.

Instead of using Instapaper on the Ipad.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
But on the Iphone Safari's READER I have several options not just changing font size.

I wish I could have the option of sending content and link of the page via email as I have on my Iphone's Safari READER.

Instead of using Instapaper on the Ipad.

But you do. The regular "curvy arrow" you'd press to send via e-mail still works when you've got the page opened with the READER function. The cool thing is that if you choose to send the article (versus the link), it's the stripped down article that gets sent.

So, it's the same as the phone. I would guess the arrow shows up on the phone READER window because the phone's screen is too small to show both the menu and the READER box.

Hope this clarifies.

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts