What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Macworld Daily Reader no longer working

davidalan99

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Macworld Daily Reader for iPad used to be my favorite app. Used it every morning to see what is new. About a week or two ago the cover page for each section was updated (confirmed with web site), and you could reach some old articles. However when you clicked on a new article (any section) it would flip to the article and generate a error message "server could not be found" Old articles yes new articles no. Repeated emails to Macworld have resulted in no to little response other than they have received them. When you go to the app store, it is no longer in the store (US)
Does anyone know what is going on, or have we lost another part of Macworld.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The app is probably no longer supported by the developer and since it requires a connection to a server to provide the articles, you're apparently out of luck. As to why it's no longer in the App Store, the developer probably pulled it as he's no longer supporting it.

OP
davidalan99

davidalan99

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The connection is still active for the older articles, not the new one. Also when you open the app the individual sections are updated, you can see that occur. When you click on one of the links to view the whole article, if it's a new one, that's when you get the server error message and no article v

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Macworld is unlikely to change their linking to old articles; however, if they changed how they are linking to new articles the old app probably isn't able to cope.

At any rate, if they've pulled the app from the App Store, then they are unlikely to be supporting it anymore. I was hoping they would at least announce the discontinuation of the app on their site, but the last post about Macworld Daily I could find on their site was four years old.

You can try contacting them directly to ask, but in the end I suspect you're simply going to have to find a new way of reading Macworld articles.

If you'd like a firehose of Apple news you could try the MacHash app. Macworld is one of the sites it pulls from. There's a lot of repetition, and some sites are better than other; but you can pair it down to the few you want to follow.

OP
davidalan99

davidalan99

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks kind of afraid of the app going away. So I guess the main pages are updating via a valid link and the full articles from the terminated link.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hard to say. Websites change all the time. If the apps that access them aren't kept up to date, then things break.

Most third party apps, like MacHash, depend on RSS feeds (not direct access to a site), which are standard and rarely break; but don't offer extra features and limit the ability to insert ads.

If the MacWorld Daily app was based on RSS, it should 'probably' still work. But I have no idea how it worked.

Here is a last ditch thing you can try. Go to the Purchased tab in the App Store on your iPad and see if the app is still there. If it is then you can try deleting the app from the iPad, then downloading it again from the Purchased tab. If reinstalling the app is all that's needed to fix it (and sometimes that works) then this has a chance of working. Much of the time discontinued apps remain available in your Purchased tab long after they are no longer available for purchase.

The reason I call this a last ditch effort is that sometimes the developer not only pulls availability of the app from the store, but the actual app; and I'm not absolutely certain that it won't still show up in the Purchased tab as long as it's on the iPad. If they did that, then you won't be able to download it again.

OP
davidalan99

davidalan99

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Again thanks. I'm going to wait and see what happens with Macworld, however I think that they are not long for this world.

Sent from my iPadAir2 using Tapatalk

OP
davidalan99

davidalan99

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you'd like a firehose of Apple news you could try the MacHash app. Macworld is one of the sites it pulls from. There's a lot of repetition, and some sites are better than other; but you can pair it down to the few you want to follow.

If been playing with the app since your suggestion. Thanks for the tip at this point I like it, and I think after a little while longer with some more exploration of the features I'm going to love it. Again thanks for the tip.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No problem. I'm glad you like it.

Time for a disclaimer. I only use it on the rare occasions when all my other reading/news sources run dry, but I knew it was an easy and free option that you could use immediately without setting up other services, so I recommended it.

Besides Twitter, I follow a fair number of RSS feed using the Reeder app (not free) in combination with the Feedly RSS service (I pay for the pro account). Most of those sources are also in the MacHash app. It's mostly a matter of just liking the interface better. And that my feeds stay synced across my iPhone, iPad, and iMac.

I think of the MacHash app as a good way to catch news my main feeds might have missed, and to discover new sources I might want to add to my main feed. I originally picked it up on the recommendation of Federico Viticci of Mac Stories, who's job involves keeping track of all things Mac and iOS.

He's another great source to follow, if you're feeling tech news deprived.

team62737373

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Follow Nifty they design apps Twitter/@niftycompany

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
davidalan99

davidalan99

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Set up the new "news" app to reach out to Macworld. Is nice and set up is a snap. Format for Macworld nice, no artwork, but it seems to gather most of what the daily reader did, except Macalope. However since I've been using MacHash, thanks twerppoet for the suggestion, MacHash is better and more diverse.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Set up the new "news" app to reach out to Macworld. Is nice and set up is a snap. Format for Macworld nice, no artwork, but it seems to gather most of what the daily reader did, except Macalope. However since I've been using MacHash, thanks twerppoet for the suggestion, MacHash is better and more diverse.

I agree. The new News app is decent, and probably all a casual news reader needs. Aesthetically it looks pretty nice, as you'd expect from Apple.

However it won't be enough for those that read a lot of news, and want some serious control and power features. Even the semi-serious news reader is going to want a bit more than News provides.

I expect that like most of Apple's apps, it will slowly acquire more features until it's an excellent app for most news readers; much like the Podcast app.

Most reactions

Latest posts