What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What can you tell me about a password manager

Janset

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi all.

I find that I am collecting a large number of passwords and as a result at times I am duplicating them as I have run out of passwords ideas.

I have read up on a few password managers and get the general idea as how it all works. I think there is a master password that gives me access to something or other from where I can retrieve my existing passwords which are then encrypted and that encrypted password is used instead of my feeble original.

Is this how it works?

But the biggest problem that I am wrestling with is that nothing that I have read actually explains the steps after signing in or how I actually use/work the program. They go into great explanations as to how wonderful their program is but it ends there.

If this sounds confusing, then you have grasped my predicament.

There is a iTunes APP p/w manager called "keeper" which I have downloaded, but have done nothing with it as yet until I can get a better handle on the workings, hopefully with this forum's help.

Regards

Sent from my iPad using iPF

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I've used Data Guardian for years on my Mac, from days it used to be called File Vault. It works as you say, with the ability to group passwords into categories for easier browsing. You can also create custom templates to contain any sort of data you need to file securely. At the time, I needed to manage hundreds of customer passwords, and it was perfect. When I bought an iPad, I got the iOS version, which syncs seamlessly with my Mac. Data Guardian for Mac or Windows is $20 shareware, but the iOS app is free. Google for their website. No relation but a satisfied customer.

milliHelen: amount of beauty required to launch one ship.

OP
Janset

Janset

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi LannyC.

I have organized my thoughts into formulated questions/concerns and numbered them for easier answers/replies.....I hope. :)

1. Once installed can these programs be uninstalled at a later date and everything then goes back to the way that it was so as I can use my old passwords?

2. When I go to my banking site I am presented with an on-screen keypad the jumps all over the screen and I need to select my password from that keypad, (to thwart key-logging so I am told). How is this effected?

3. Do I load the password keeper when I fire up the computer in the morning then continue to use my weak passwords as needed and the password keeper automatically recognizes these weak passwords and encrypts them before sending?

4. Do I have to load the password keeper each and every time I need to use a password and once loaded, then select another password applicable to the site (e.g.) my old weak P/W? A double whammy so to speak.

5. And finally, what kind of support do these programs give?

LannyC I will Google your nominated program and see if I can learn some more.

Regards.

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Data Guardian isn't that sort of app. It's just a secure place to store your passwords for future reference, plus a random password generator. It doesn't take over provision of passwords to other apps that request them.

There are apps that do that, but I am hesitant to trust them. They hook deeply into the OS, and are often a source of trouble (thinking of 1password for Mac). I'm satisfied to have a handy, secure place to record passwords in case I forget one.

Sorry.

milliHelen: amount of beauty required to launch one ship.

OP
Janset

Janset

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi there.

Thanks for you input. Yes I am rather weary of program's that may inbed themselves into the operating system.

Regards

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
Janset

Janset

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi all.

Still the same question. I am hoping that someone may be able to breath new life into this post.

I am still looking for a password manager that is easy to use, can encrypt my existing (weak) passwords and is controlled with a master password. Free would be nice also. :)

Regards

B_Dub

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Janset, I will try to explain to the best of my ability so that you may understand how the apps work.* Think of most “password managers” as a memo pad that you enter all of your passwords into.* Each memo will have its own title i.e. VISA.* In VISA’s memo you will place your log-in name, password, visa account number, visa’s phone number…..the information placed in the memo is encrypted when the program is closed* When you open the app your password allows the app to decrypt the information.* Some apps only store your information and you have to do a lot of copy/paste.* I am using DataVault which is a secure memo pad essentially.* My wife uses Lastpass which I hear is ultra-secure.* She does get frustrated with it sometimes but it has more functions than I personally need.* I am thinking of trying 1PasswordPro for ease of syncing between iphone/ipad.* Some apps have browsers built in so you can go to web pages that require passwords to log in and the browser does it for you.* To answer some of your other questions.
1.**** You will always use your old passwords unless you change them.* Most apps have a password generator that can give you suggestions.
2.**** A con not answer that as I have not used an app that performs auto log-in.
3.**** Depending on which app you use you may open it in the morning and work the internet through it.
4.**** Most likely you will open the app with a strong password and then view the password you need and fill it into whichever web site you are on.
5.**** I have not needed support as yet.
You may want to check out a video on twit.tv* just do a search for “security now last pass” and view episode 256.
Brent

Keytapper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just my 2 cents. I have been using 1password since it came out. I upgraded to pro shortly after using it. I have had no issues whatsoever. It works/syncs between all devices seamlessly and I find it invaluable.

Most reactions