What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Opinions suggestions password manager?

evennewerbie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There seem to have been discussions of this but maybe there needs to be every now and then.

OK so I have a probably usual problem of unmanageable proliferation of passwords (which they always tell you not to write down) so some bank accounts so secure I can't get into them, some credit cards with precautions that I have to cumbersomely get new password each time used, some offered protections I refuse because I know I'll soon get locked out.

So what do do I need? The criteria:

Free? A psychological barrier to paying for stuff when there is free stuff. Also I more easily can discard a free one if I don't like it. But the paid ones are only a few £$ maybe I can be persuaded if it really gives me something.

Simple. If not for me it defeats the purpose if I add a password cache I can't get into. Some of the apps seem to come without any user instruction, things that tend to be generally considered a thing of the past, but I am an older generation newbie (actually more retarded than newbie).

Versatility/adaptability. Once I get it I don't want to change it because something else has that facility I didn't know I needed when I started. I have and use I-pad 2, and PC, (oh and an I-pod classic bit I don't think that comes into this, I may get later version anyway).

Security obviously! Finding an app amongst the I-pad apps list is a guarantee is it? :). And if its not among those on the ipad app list? Because the apps appear as just names. Behind the names you find the name of a company you've never heard of or just the name of a bloke. Which apart from suggesting to me a good way someone could scoop up confidential data - it must have happened - makes you wonder how long the app will stay there and working if it needs maintenance, you need assistance, or whatever.

Those are considerations I thought of, maybe there are others I haven't.

I did download 3 free apps but have not tried any, maybe there are better for me.
E.g. Secure Safe is free, then I found out if you want to keep more than 50 passwords you have to get the paying version, and nowadays every department store, cinema, florist, or anything you buy online from has you register and have a password, so it looks it will fill up soon. There is Ipassword, but I see comments say some people find it incomprehensible to use, if anyone does then I would. There is one called PW, can't see a trace of instructions, maybe it is just simple and self-evident enough for me? Anyone have other suggestions that fit my criteria?

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I use pwSafe and love it. The features I like are its ability to create safe in iCloud or on the device.. or both. It also syncs (iCloud or Dropbox) to other devices and computers so I only need to create a password on one device and it's visible on all of my other devices.

I found this app to be quite easy to use. The settings include a "welcome tour", a F.A.Q., and an area for support requests and feedback.

Last edited:

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I use one safe personally I would suggest paying for an app like this as getting something for free is really running a risk... You should think how much is my personal passwords worth to me. If you say nothing then down load any any free app. The long and short of it you get what you pay for...

One more thing just search for reviews form any App you want to purchase. Then make a decision which app suits you.

OP
evennewerbie

evennewerbie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use pwSafe and love it. The features I like are its ability to create safe in iCloud or on the device.. or both. It also syncs (iCloud or Dropbox) to other devices and computers so I only need to create a password on one device and it's visible on all of my other devices.

I found this app to be quite easy to use. The settings include a "welcome tour", a F.A.Q., and an area for support requests and feedback.

Thank you, your description sounds good. Most of the reviews I saw sounded positive. Except for one guy who lost all his data, when trying to upgrade, what a disaster. How I hate upgrades! How did you choose this app, from the reviews?

OP
evennewerbie

evennewerbie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use one safe personally I would suggest paying for an app like this as getting something for free is really running a risk... You should think how much is my personal passwords worth to me. If you say nothing then down load any any free app. The long and short of it you get what you pay for...

One more thing just search for reviews form any App you want to purchase. Then make a decision which app suits you.

Thank you. Yes I'd read reviews - you often read 10 rave reviews then a slating. That's why I posted indicating my imagined requisites and my level of handiness with apps and stuff which is limiting. I mean I only just checked out what Dropbox is, and have not got into the clouds though I will in time.

You have a point, it is worth something. Perhaps I should pay £2 even if times are hard! Will that be enough?

Noting the experience of the guy who lost everything, suggests to me I actually ought to get two of these apps, one backup in case I forget a master password or have some accident like he did.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I use one safe personally I would suggest paying for an app like this as getting something for free is really running a risk... You should think how much is my personal passwords worth to me. If you say nothing then down load any any free app. The long and short of it you get what you pay for..One more thing just search for reviews form any App you want to purchase. Then make a decision which app suits you.

Well, there are plenty of password apps available, so ultimately up to you to decide, but I would agree w/ the above in bold, i.e. if you find one that meets all of your 'other criteria', but costs, then shell out the money - these are really not that expensive.

For myself, I've been using SplashID for probably 4 yrs or so - first bought the iPod version - there is now a HD iPad one available ($10) - when I bought my iPad 2 (spring 2011), I simply install the older version for free - works fine; when I bought a new laptop (MBP) in March of this year, I bought the OS X version ($20) just to have 2 locations - the program easily syncs over my home Wi-Fi network, and a number of export options are available to backup your data. There are some negative reviews but seems that no program/app gets all perfect scores - good luck in your selection! :)

OP
evennewerbie

evennewerbie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
And for interest, is what I say about security in #1 silly? Nothing like that ever happened?

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thank you, your description sounds good. Most of the reviews I saw sounded positive. Except for one guy who lost all his data, when trying to upgrade, what a disaster. How I hate upgrades! How did you choose this app, from the reviews?

And, the one guy who lost all of his data is probably a developer of a competing app. I always read the most critical reviews and ignore the most helpful reviews.. an app developer can always pay people to publish helpful reviews so those reviews don't really mean much.

DickW

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have used "Keeper"'for about 3 years now and am well pleased. The encryption is unque as well as the self destruct mechanism! There is a free versions which I used for a year and then opted for the pay version, which allows back up to the cloud and other features.
I have tried 2 or 3 others, not worth mentioning, and keep coming back to Keeper. Try the free version and see.

yianniskyr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use Ipassword. If you learn how to use it , is amazing app. .it helps me a lot And is universal app .Cons is expensive

Most reactions

Latest posts