What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Well.. My screen got cracked today

Boroboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When I bought the iPad I also purchased the black cover for it, and always felt like the cover took away from the whole iPad experience sooo.. Yeah, I took it places without the cover on. Well today I had it sitting on the dining room table playing music when our house keeper walks in.. Thinks it's cool.. Picks it up then drops it right on the tile.

Dent in the aluminum and one single crack down the middle of the screen. Tears later, I call Apple to see what can be done, and for the low low price of $299 plus tax they can replace the screen, and that doesn't include the dented aluminum.. Why do they charge $300 plus when online I can find people that replace it, screen included, for $129.

I can still use it, but I'm absolutely heartbroken, and why does Apple feel the need to completely rip you off on a screen replacement?

This could easily qualify as the worst day of the year for me. My parents told me it was my fault for taking it out of the case, but I haven't so much as even got a scuff on it when using it outside of the case. Blah :(

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that, though it's good to know it's repairable.

While the pad looks really cool without a cover, it's fairly slippy to hold. I think your parents are being a little unsympathetic when someone else was responsible, but perhaps good housekeepers are hard to get where you live........

Mike_73

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your mishap, but, for $300 I would probably just go with a new one (except you had the most expensive model). I have the 16gb wifi model and did almost instantly regret not to have bought the 16gb with GPS.

STi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
House keeper should pay....But if you can afford a house keeper in the 1st place prob have no issue flipping the bill.

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that, though it's good to know it's repairable.

While the pad looks really cool without a cover, it's fairly slippy to hold...

I'm with Boroboy - I rarely have mine in the case when I'm home. I also worry about breakage, but I've got a rider on my home insurance and I bought it with my AMEX which adds damage/theft warranty.

Wakawaka

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Zaggs leather back. I'm getting one as it's real leather. More grip than slippery aluminum. I like the naked feel of it too

OP
B

Boroboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
House keeper should pay....But if you can afford a house keeper in the 1st place prob have no issue flipping the bill.

Ha just because we have a house keeper doesn't mean I'm spoiled. I work hard for everything I have.

I found a reputable dealer online that will replace the screen for $99.95 and 29.95 for labor but then it's 129.95 for a new aluminum backing. :( I think I might just replace the screen and get a cover that I like and just deal with the dings in the metal until the iPad 2 comes out.

But that means sending it in for repair & I haven't used my laptop in ages (maybe a month) I'm NOT looking forward to using my laptop.. not at all haha :p

Last edited:

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Ha just because we have a house keeper doesn't mean I'm spoiled. I work hard for everything I have.

Ignore rude comments. And presumptuous as well.

I am so sorry this happened! But shit happens. Someday you will look back and laugh.

Hopefully!

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just worry about the glass and ignore the dings on the back as you won't be looking at them :)

Especially when it's in it's new case.......

Most reactions

Latest posts