Welcome to the new iPad Help section!

Discussion in 'iPad Help' started by iDan, Apr 2, 2010.

1. aginzu

aginzu
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the reply. I finally got Plain Text to work. It needed to be told to access the entire Drop Box folder, not just it's own. That solves the one problem for .txt files.

The other two apps can edit other document files, but I haven't found a way to get them to save edited files to a Drop Box folder. I tried CloudOn and it seems to be an online app only. I need something that will allow me to edit files stored in Drop Box when offline and then have them sync up when I get back on line.

Thanks,
    Allen

2. J. A.

J. A.
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Office2HD should to be able to edit files offline. Look at this thread: http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-busi...p-allows-editing-word-files-when-offline.html
    Afaik it can be used for word, excel and powerpoint files.

#252 J. A., Oct 20, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2013
  3. the damps

the damps
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    We're totally new to Apple software - in my case after over 20 years with Microsoft programs and I'm completely flummoxed.

We got the book "My new iPad" by Walter Wang and we're gradually getting more capability on the box. One item that I can't understand is "Why can't I find any programs that would allow me to PRINT things." Wang's book doesn't even have "Printing" in its index. Our previous MS-based net-book printed the same way my desk-top did, but over a wi-fi link to the printer. It had the same Lexmark software in it as my desktop machine had.

If iPad can't print, its days are severely numbered. We'll be looking to get DW a new MS lap-top within a month.

4. Mickey330

Mickey330
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Can you tell us, specifically, what brand and model your printer is? It might be just a matter of setting it up...

With your printer being wireless, there may be ways to set it up to print. Again, we'll need the specifics on the printer.

If it's a Lexmark, see if this app will work, "Lexmark Mobile Printing" (link: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/lexmark-mobile-printing/id469415392?mt=8).

Hang in there. I'm pretty hopeful we can get something going.

Marilyn

5. the damps

the damps
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Yes, Marilyn - it's a Lexmark X5650 that is ethernet connected to my WinXP desktop. Previously, my wife's ASUS net-book (now dead) worked across our wi-fi network to print. I'm not even sure how I'd connected it - I don't think it was direct wi-fi, but passed through my desk-top to get to the printer.

I'll dig out the Lexmark docs and see what I actually have, then go look in the Apps store. I'll get back to this thread when I've got more info.

Frank

6. the damps

the damps
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I guess that particular Lexmark model isn't wi-fi equipped. Looks like we'll be getting a new printer! I just installed a new wireless gateway, supplied by my ISP and I don't think it has the ability to send wi-fi signals to my desk-top machine.

Thanks for your help.

7. Mickey330

Mickey330
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Bummer! Ah well, at least you know.

So, if you're off to get a new printer, just make sure you get one that specifically states it's an AirPrint wireless capable one. Then, you'll be sure that it will work with your iDevice.

Marilyn

8. onejkat

onejkat
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Can anyone help me pleaser? I have an iPad 1 and each time I open an application, it closes it down after a few minutes. This started recently.

Thanks
    Jkat

9. ismael91700

ismael91700
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    can any one help unlock my new ipad is second handled but i try many times to talk to apple guys and dont help secon dandled devices is any help that you guy could provide me to get this ipad working

10. leelai

leelai
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:

Hi and welcome to the Forum!

Your iPad is crashing because of a lack of ram. The iPad 1 has only 256mb of ram compared to the ipad2 which has 512mb and the newer iPads which have 1 GB of ram. As apps are only getting bigger with advancing technology the iPad 1 will continue to struggle more and more to keep up. Any sites you may visit through Safari which are graphic intensive will cause crashes also.

There are some steps you can take which will limit this happening as much and these steps will also free up ram.

Limit your location services to the apps you are using now.

Close apps regularly (all apps in your multi task bar are using some ram, even though they are not running and closing them completely will free up this ram)

Go to Settings - Safari and Clear your History and also Clear your Cookies and Data. Safari retains bits of info from every site you visit.....if you would like to have a look first before clearing your History etc. go to Settings - Safari - Advanced - Website Data - Show All Sites. As you can see there's a lot there.

After doing this, it would be a good idea to do a reset of your iPad just to allow everything to settle in nicely. Apple have now ceased updates for the iPad 1 as it is really quite old now in technology terms and although it will still continue to be a great device for certain tasks, it may be time to upgrade to a newer iPad! I do hope these steps help you.

Just in case you may not know of the reset I spoke of.
    Hold the power off button and the home button simultaneously, keep holding them in and you may see the power off slide appear and disappear, wait until you see the Apple logo appear before releasing the buttons. It will take a little longer for your iPad to start.