What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Watching movies/TV shows on iPad

Jake872

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I guess this question is more about your personal preferences, but I figured I'd ask anyways. I love my iPad (and I'm posting this from my iPad), but I've never used it (or my iPhone) as a way to watch movies and TV shows. What I'm trying to understand is this: why do people choose to watch things on a 9.7 inch screen, rather than in 1080p on a 40+ inch screen?

wrecklass

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Lots of reasons, depending on your situation. The 40" TV doesn't follow me to the dining room or outside if I want. It also doesn't go with me to the gym while I am on the treadmill or stationary bike.

At night I can don blutooth headsets to keep from disturbing the wife.

The 40" Bravia also doesn't sit on my desktop while I am puttering around on the web or the kitchen.

robertlc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Lots of reasons, depending on your situation. The 40" TV doesn't follow me to the dining room or outside if I want. It also doesn't go with me to the gym while I am on the treadmill or stationary bike.

The 40" Bravia also doesn't sit on my desktop while I am puttering around on the web or the kitchen.

Ditto that. :)

I used to watch videos on my PSP, then on my Creative Zen Vision W while waiting in doctor's waiting rooms, or other waiting situations. Now I use my iPad. I used to also read on my Kindle when I got that a year ago, now I read on my iPad.

Much easier to carry around than a regular sized TV/monitor.

The iPad is much more portable.

lumberjak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not a quality nut personally, so whether watching on my TV (which is actually just a 24" HD monitor connected to my media centre) or on the iPad on my lap it's not much difference. I prefer watching TV with my wife in bed, on the train or when we're traveling. Personally I abhor becoming so attached to the idiot-box I am resisting the desire for a big-screen. I already watch to much and play to much PS3 ;)

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well if I am home and have the time, the home theater environment is indeed nice for watching a movie. Dim the lights, crank up the volume and all that.

But most of the time my iPad will do nicely. And try this: while sitting where you would normally watch that 40" TV, make a square using your thumbs and forefingers, like a director trying to envision a shot. Now size that square so your TV's screen fills it. I bet it is not really any bigger than the iPad would be.

Michael

mraif

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Or the airport, plane, doctor's office, auto repair shop, or anywhere else where there is a possibility of an insufferable wait. :)

tosh.jc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I guess this question is more about your personal preferences, but I figured I'd ask anyways. I love my iPad (and I'm posting this from my iPad), but I've never used it (or my iPhone) as a way to watch movies and TV shows. What I'm trying to understand is this: why do people choose to watch things on a 9.7 inch screen, rather than in 1080p on a 40+ inch screen?

I choose to watch these things on my 9.7in screen rather than a 40+ inch HDTV scree because...I don't have such a TV! I have the same 27 inch tube TV that I bought in 1998. It gets the job done for casual watching, but as the others have said, the portability of the iPad - in conjunction with the fact that considering the proximity to your face at which the iPad is held, the movie/TV show fills as much of, if not more than, your field of vision as a large TV - makes it a valuable asset for viewing purposes.

That said, if any of you has a 40+ inch LCD TV that you've grown tired of because of the awesomeness of your iPad, I will relieve you of this TV at no cost to myself.

wrecklass

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That said, if any of you has a 40+ inch LCD TV that you've grown tired of because of the awesomeness of your iPad, I will relieve you of this TV at no cost to myself.

LOL, tempting, but I still have some sporting events I prefer on the big screen.

And try this: while sitting where you would normally watch that 40" TV, make a square using your thumbs and forefingers, like a director trying to envision a shot. Now size that square so your TV's screen fills it. I bet it is not really any bigger than the iPad would be.
Michael

Yup, the angle subtended at the eye by each screen is very comparable. Even with the iPad held at a comfortable distance it is slightly larger area than the TV.

Yes "subtended" is a word, and I am using it correctly here. ;)

s.lucero

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a 47" tv in my living room, but sometimes prefer the comfort of my bedroom - ipad is portable ;)

Bluesjam

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You guys got to get up with the times. I have a 46 Sharp in the den, a 26 LG on the patio, a 26 Sharp on the wall in front of the Pool, a 26 LG in the Home Office, a 37 Sharp in the Bedroom, a 20 in the Grandkids Bedroom, and a 20 in the Garage. How can you get by without a flatscreen?

KILLERkpd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When I am at home, the TV is where I do watch movies.

But any other time, it is on my iPad, if I am away on business, out with teh family for ong car rides, the kids love movies on it.

So IMO, it boils down to watching a movie on an iPad screen or an iPod touch screen...

lprmcnit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Netflix view on demand works great over wi-fi. I like being able to watch a movie laying down on my couch..somehow it's more relaxing :)

Rudai123

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My wife likes reality tv I like MMA. We can sit on the couch together and both watch different things.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Watching a show on my iPad from 6 inches is as good as my 42 inch from 6 feet.

mraif

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You guys got to get up with the times. I have a 46 Sharp in the den, a 26 LG on the patio, a 26 Sharp on the wall in front of the Pool, a 26 LG in the Home Office, a 37 Sharp in the Bedroom, a 20 in the Grandkids Bedroom, and a 20 in the Garage. How can you get by without a flatscreen?

What, nothing in the kitchen or bathroom? :p

Most reactions

Latest posts