iPad usb to tv

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by anonbeep, Oct 7, 2013.

1. anonbeep

anonbeep
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    My brand new Panasonic 40 inch Tv has a USB slot. What would happen if I attached it to my iPad cable which I understand is a USB cable and watched the sky app football? Can I do that or will it mess it all up? Don't want to try it until I know I won't mess it all, anybody know or done it?

2. Sopranosv

Sopranosv
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I do not see why you may mess something up. Now, as I understand, there will be no transmission of any kind between your iPad and the TV set.

3. skimonkey

skimonkey
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi Beeps,

Just moving your post to the General Discussion area for better attention rather then in the New Member Section.

Ski ~ iPadforums Moderator | iPhoneForums Moderator

4. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Hello - first forget the USB choice if you are planning to watch videos. Second, is your 'new' Panasonic 40 inch TV a HDTV, i.e. w/ HDMI inputs? If so, to watch video from the iPad, you have two options: 1) Buy an Apple TV and connect it to your TV via an HDMI cable - then use AirPlay for wireless video; or 2) Buy an HDMI adapter & cable to connect your iPad from the dock to your TV (the cable purchased will depend on the iPad model that your own) - if these instructions are not clear, then please post back for further explanation - good luck - :) Dave

5. zstairlessone

zstairlessone
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Yes, and both of these work really well, the difference is in cost (~$30 for the HDMI adapter that ties the iPad to the TV) (~$100 for the Apple TV) and all the options with the Apple TV including streaming from your PC or Mac's iTunes in addition to your iDevices. The hard part is deciding which way to go. I started with the HDMI adapter, then got the Apple TV - which I absolutely love and allowed me to get rid of cable TV.

6. maxtwo

maxtwo
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    You can't steam any sky channels from an ipad it's to stop you getting round subscription .

7. anonbeep

anonbeep
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Hi Ski, thanks for that. Yea, I hav wondered about where to post. Wouldn't kno the diff. I notice I hav moved from a newbie to a novice, so general I guess it is in future. beeps

8. anonbeep

anonbeep
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Hi Giradman. It's an HDTV with all the inputs of allsorts + HDMI. I will need to look at this Apple TV stuff no store near me so checking your advice gonna take some time, thanks for that. beeps

9. anonbeep

anonbeep
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Hi Max. I do hav a subscription and I stream thro the sky app, however, in my house without wifi it not very good in that it loses the pic quite often, but in range of wifi it is real good. I am trying to figure out how to get my own wifi but it is coming across as a lot of money. In the meantime I thought that maybe I cld hook up to the tv to get a bigger picture. My subscription by the way is a secondary from someone else's and that is the reason for why I cannot use my tv straight off. Thanks for that beeps

10. anonbeep

anonbeep
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:

Hi zstair. I notice u and Giradman both in USA, mite it b different over here in uk. No cable tv round here that I kno of, it comes thro dish or aerial and I hav both of the latter
    Wld it make a diff. I need to look at what an Apple TV will do. Is it different from any other kind or is it just a regular tv like mine? Something I need to check out now. I also been told I should get an imat now, whatever that is. No apple shop round here that's the prob, it's in Southampton which is a bit of a drive. Looking up this stuff online still don't tell me enough of what I need to kno. Thanks for that beeps