What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Virtual/onscreen Cyrillic keyboard?

Cyrillic keyboard?

• Total voters

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good question!

They don't seem to have a way to send general comments other than their corporate "snail mail" address and US phone number:

Apple
1 Infinite Loop
Cupertino, CA 95014

iPad100

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, the cyrillic keyboard can be selected at ease, and yes, there are numerous choices (Russian - PC, Russian, Russian - Phonetic).

...the Russian/Cyrillic keyboard lacks some important Russian punctuation keys. In general, Russians would write «Шерлок Холмс» instead of "Шерлок Холмс", but the « and »characters are missing from the keyboard (not on the number or symbols sections of the keyboard).

... :(

So, it looks like I complained a little too soon about the Russian keyboard, although I guess that's what forum are for! I was surprised Apple had made such a blunder, and found it hard to accept. :eek:

Thanks to Studor13 for reminding me of the fact that if you hold a key on the keyboard for 1-2 seconds, you often get a pop-up with access to related extended characters (like umlauts and accents for German and French text, where applicable, etc.). :rolleyes:

For the Russian keyboard - hold the quotes (") key for 1-2 seconds and sure enough you get a few more choices, including the « and » characters.

A little cumbersome for typing a lot of quotes, but at least it's available! What would be nice is if they did have a separate extra key (the main keyboard has more letter keys than for English, so it shouldn't be a problem) or if the Russian symbols were displayed first, with the other quotes available 'under' the key.

Thanks to all who commented, and I hope this helps others find the 'hidden' keys they need in various other languages. Cheers! :p

t0ol

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Actualy the cyrillic keyboard is quite useless. Im russian so u can believe me :)
The main problem is it doesnt have comma & period in the main layout. So every time u want some punctuation u have to go to symbols page and so on.. It`s really THAT annoying.

Over time i have a strong impression that my android phone is actualy "smarter" than this ipad in many aspects.. sad.

Most reactions

Latest posts