Vintage computers

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by scifan57, Nov 25, 2018.

1. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Last night I decided to update Java on my iBook G3. I found and downloaded the latest version available for my computer but when I went to install it I was told that all earlier updates had to be installed first. This led to an hour of finding and installing all the intermediate updates. Finally, after almost an hour and a half Java was finally fully updated.

#21 scifan57, Dec 3, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
  2. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Although there are quite a few updates for old Macs still available from the Apple website, computers as old as mine can’t download them directly as the browsers available for them don’t meet modern security standards. I have to download the updates to my MacBook Pro, burn them to a CD and use that CD to install the updates on the iBook G3.

#22 scifan57, Dec 3, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    The fact that your Macbook Pro has a CD burner showes it’s not all that new either. Or is it an external CD/DVD.

4. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    It's the last MacBook pro with a built in optical drive. It was discontinued 2 years ago. The AppleCare+ on it expired this past August.

5. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    That recent? I thought they stopped selling them earlier. Shows how little attention I’ve been paying to laptops the last few years.

6. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Earlier today I took my iBook G3 Clamshell to the local library where it had no trouble connecting to the library WiFi hotspot. The biggest problem I’ve found is that the computer won’t connect to a lot of sites because it can’t handle the modern security some sites use. This even applies to the Apple website itself. If I could put Mac OS Tiger 10.4.11 on this computer I could use TenFourFox as my browser and it could connect to these sites. TenFourFox is a fork of the Mozilla FireFox browser that’s optimized for PowerPC G3, G4, and G5 Macs and is still currently kept up to date with new features and security updates.

#27 scifan57, Dec 11, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
    • List