What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

video transfer?

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
Please move this thread to the right forum if needs be. i couldn't think where else to post it.

Just a quickie.....

I'm pretty newish to iTunes, and have generally hated it for the last several years i've dabbled with it, but hey, time to embrace it i suppose.

i've just installed itunes on my XP64 machine and backed up, transferred purchases and generally synced my ipod Touch to it.

but, i've several videos in my Touch i dont know how to sync or copy over to my itunes libs. This goes for songs too.

how do i do this?

thanks

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
With your iPod connected to the computer, go into iTunes, right click on the iPod under the devices list and choose Transfer Purchases. Or you can go to the Files menu and do the same thing.

From your description it sounds like you may have already done this. If so:

Are these movies and music purchased in iTunes, and showing up under the standard Video and Music apps? If not then you'll need a different method of getting them back off the iPod Touch.

OP
sjleworthy

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
If not then you'll need a different method of getting them back off the iPod Touch.

thats the thing. how?

or, put it another way, how in itunes?

there are numerous workarounds which i've done. but i want to learn/understand itunes, not work-around or use 3rd party software.

i hate this 'sync' term. people say it's easy, just hit sync. NO! sync transfers from media computer to device, not the other way around. you must be carefull not to accidently delete things, even in manual modes. how do i simply copy media back and forth in itunes? i cant can i? :(

as i say, i am learning the software (reluctantly), and am currently using 3rd party plugins (like MediaWidget) to do other menial transfers.
It would just be nice to be able to use itunes, with my device, as like a kind of flash storage device where transferring back and forth of any media between the 2 was an easy task.

Last edited:

moshun111

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry but the phrases you've used are explicit enough. Can you tell us what you're transferring.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Sorry but the phrases you've used are explicit enough..
eh?

Can you tell us what you're transferring.

video and songs that havent been purchased via itunes.

And that's the problem. You've bypassed iTunes, and it doesn't know how to deal with this. The only reliable way to use music and video not purchased through iTunes is to import it into the computer's iTunes library first, and then sync it.

It really is an either/or choice. If you use third party programs to put music on the iPad, you have to keep using them. Trying to mix and match causes problems.

OP
sjleworthy

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
yeah. learning that fast. but i'm not put off at all.

i'm now collating all my itunes media for my ipad and ipod into one single library on my portable formac hard drive. means all i need do is connect my drive to whatever computer i use (at home) via firewire and i have an instant shared library of apps, music and visual data. syncing is different on both devices as i'll want different stuff on each, but at least i can access the same database disk of media.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
That is a workable solution. If I needed my full iTunes library at multiple locations I would probably do the same thing, or cave in and get a Macbook Pro.

Most reactions

Latest posts