What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Video stripped of audio.

NLAlston

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hello all.

The Ipad is my study partner and, as such, I have a large number of PDF files and video tutorials on it. Last night I went through the process of adding some more (video tuts). Out of three different sets, only two of them played as properly as they should have (meaning with video AND audio). One of the sets will not play its audio portion. Ironically, that is the set which was most important to me. Let me note, here, that this very set WILL play - in complete fashion - on my computer, but will drop the audio, for some strange reason, after having been imported (via ITunes) into my Ipad (1st Gen). I have traveled through the process of deleting said file set from my IPad, and re-importing the files a couple of times. But it is always the same situation with that set.

Has anyone ever experienced anything like this?

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Possibly the audio formatting of that video is not supported by the iPad? The video stream is compliant, but the audio is not. You could use Handbrake to convert to an iPad compatible file.

City

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does your device have enough space to contain this sound? I know my iPad will give me a message if I have too many things that can be running, that have sound.

OP
N

NLAlston

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Possibly the audio formatting of that video is not supported by the iPad? The video stream is compliant, but the audio is not. You could use Handbrake to convert to an iPad compatible file.

Thanks. I will certainly look into 'Handbrake'.

OP
N

NLAlston

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Does your device have enough space to contain this sound? I know my iPad will give me a message if I have too many things that can be running, that have sound.

Mine is a 32GB unit, and I see that there is 21.5GB free. Also, I have not received any such error messages.

OP
N

NLAlston

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I just downloaded Handbrake, but couldn't find where it did Batch processing. There are too many files in this particular set, and I didn't want to have to continuously running back to the computer to begin a conversion process on each subsequent file. I have AVS Video Converter 8.1, and that is what I had first used to convert this tutorial file set from the .FLV to the .MOV file extensions. Now, I have selected 'Apple Devices', just for the heck of it, to see if anything differs. Maybe it won't, because the same process (FLV to MOV) was chosen for two other sets, and those play fine.'

City

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mine is a 32GB unit, and I see that there is 21.5GB free. Also, I have not received any such error messages.
Maybe contact Apple Support, or remake that video if possible. I haven't had an experience of this before. Sorry.

OP
N

NLAlston

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Maybe contact Apple Support, or remake that video if possible. I haven't had an experience of this before. Sorry.

Yes, I may give them a shout on this.

I just finished going through the process of re-converting those files, and this time the output was to Apple devices (MP4). It turns out that the audio DID play this time, but the video was as crappy as all get out. So much so, that it was very difficult to see anything with any mentionable clarity. Needless to say, I removed those files from my Ipad.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
NLAlston said:
I just downloaded Handbrake, but couldn't find where it did Batch processing. There are too many files in this particular set, and I didn't want to have to continuously running back to the computer to begin a conversion process on each subsequent file. I have AVS Video Converter 8.1, and that is what I had first used to convert this tutorial file set from the .FLV to the .MOV file extensions. Now, I have selected 'Apple Devices', just for the heck of it, to see if anything differs. Maybe it won't, because the same process (FLV to MOV) was chosen for two other sets, and those play fine.'

I can follow-up on Handbrake in regards to batch processing, just have to check it out when I get home. I've done it, but could not talk through it from memory.

It should do a much better job than AVS.

OP
N

NLAlston

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I can follow-up on Handbrake in regards to batch processing, just have to check it out when I get home. I've done it, but could not talk through it from memory.

It should do a much better job than AVS.

Thanks for looking into it for me. I really do appreciate it.

Most reactions