What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Using a UK iPad in the US - Compatability

Shaun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am about to visit Florida in March with my UK iPad. Other posts in this forum show that I can get a microSIM from AT&T for $15 (or free if I smile nicely) and a data package of 2Gb for $25. However I am worried that a US iPad may have a different OS version and therefore my "settings" page will not have the registration form that the US version uses to activate and pay AT&T SIM on-line. In the UK we can use several providers. Does AT&T still have a monoply on the US iPad or are there other providers I can approach? If it is a monoply this might be enforced by differences in the US iPad perhaps? Thoughts / reassurance would be welcome

PhotoJim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
blog.photojim.ca
I activated my Canadian iPad in Buffalo, NY last November without issue. It's possible you'll need to download the carrier settings, so you may want your laptop handy when youa ctivate.

The real problem is that AT&T won't take most foreign credit cards for their iPad service. I was able to activate using a Canadian American Express card, but my US dollar MasterCard (from a Canadian bank) did not work, nor did my Canadian dollar MasterCard.

Bfreesun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In New York I was told there was no pre pay available for my iPad. I thought of using a prepay credit card but it seems from other post the way to go is to buy a prepaid gift card which can be bought in most stores

Most reactions

Latest posts